Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waya

torn fins

I turned my tank light on to day to see one of my goldfish chasing my little girl. :'(

I moved her to a different tank but shes swimming oddly (guessing because of how badly her fins are) and not seeming very happy. My poor girl.

Is there anything I can do for her or do I just have to give her time to heal? Will her fins fully heal? ATM she seems to be just treading water with her head pointed slightly upward. I hope she'll be ok and just needs to heal.

ogURsKA.jpgsUEmpDN.jpg

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Yes please fill out the form.  We need details about everyone in the tank and their behavior, as well as medication history, tank chemistry, and if/when new fish or plants have been introduced.  We can help better the more information we have.

Hope everything is OK with your little guy.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Sorry I took so long to reply. Had a lot going on this week, 3 doctor appointments in one day 1 the next and just a lot of other stuff. Kept oping the post but having to close it before I could type everything. Shes doing fine eating and swimming more normally again but I'm sure its going too be a little hard on her with how her fins are. She very ative as she has been comes up for food when she sees me. Her fins no longer have the red on them and are back to a normal white just very bet up. My boy most have picked on her a good part of the night to get her so beat up and she had been fin with him for weeks/months before that.

Should I do anything for her or is just keeping up with water changes good? I made most of this post yesterday so water readings where from then. About to do my water change for today. Thank you for caring about her and reposting asking as i haven't got back to you.

I’m pretty sure it was just a horny male going after a female. Learned my lesson males and females don’t mix.

Ammonia: Tank and Tap 0

Nitrite: Tank and Tap 0

Nitrate Tank 60 (high so been doing daily water changes) Tap 0

Ph: Tank and Tap 7.8

Test: API Drops

Temp: 70

Tank: 40g breeder Over 7 months with the goldfish. Tropical fish before that.

Filter: Aquatop CF-300 + 450 GPH DIY filter

Water Change: 30-50% every to every other day. Yesterday about 45%

Feed: Omega One, Cobalt, Hikari, veggies

Meds: Not resonantly

Act: Nothing out of the normal other then a male wanting to mate

Please put your info in the form.  If you can't copy and paste the form, just quote Daniel's post and fill out the form in that quote.

I don't understand your nitrate reading and water change schedule.  How long have you been doing 30-50% water changes every other day?  

What was your regular water change schedule before that?  

How did you read 60 ppm on the nitrate test?  Do you mean that it could have been somewhere between 40 and 80?  

When did you get that reading?  Was it after the 45% water change or before?  Are the readings from her "hospital" tank? 

Edited by shakaho

I think I've been changing them like that for about a week, trying to do so everyday but some days I haven't got to so it would be every other or maybe even 3. I think a water change never hurt anything right?

Nitrates got high because I didn't change them like I should have before and I'm trying to fix it. I said 60 cuz its some odd color that seems darker then 20 but still more orange then 80. I was thinking maybe it wasn't any good or something but the tap test at 0 so... I have a hard time reading that color and my BF is color blind and can't see a difference at all. I had the pet store do so and they use strips and only will say the nitrate is a little high but not by how much or anything. Then again they also don't think I shouldn't change water to get the nitrates down but just leave the tank alone for a month with only like a 20% water change so, That a bigger water change will hurt the fish. By what I've read more water changes only help to keep the fish growing and I know some people do 100% so talk about info I can't trust.

I didn't put her in a hospital tank just moved her in to a tank with a few girls. Makes 4 in a 40g but she's still small (about 2inch) and the other girls are a inch or so bigger (3inch body at most) so I think it's ok but I also want to do more water changes as there all in there. I can weight them and get a real length if need be. The biggest I think was 53g last I weigh her about a small female palm size.

O and reading was before.

Please don't take advice from pet store employees.  Most know nothing.  

Read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  

If you had a nitrate level over 40 ppm after a 45% water change, you had over 80 ppm before the water change.  Goldfish find this level of nitrate toxic.

You need to change more water.  Empty the tank until the fish are barely covered.  Add clean water, and test nitrate right afterward.  If you read anything other than zero, we have a mystery to solve.

Please fill out the form.  We need all of that information.

How are you doing?