goldfishkeeper

How to grow algae carpet

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys! Anyone here had success in promoting/growing hair-like algae in their tanks?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, goldfishkeeper said:

Hey guys! Anyone here had success in promoting/growing hair-like algae in their tanks?

I have in my old pond :) 

Did u specifically do anything to grow them? I also have a pond with fair algae growth..some walls have already small hair like algae already..but im trying to do it in my 75 gallon tank.

9 minutes ago, goldfishkeeper said:

Did u specifically do anything to grow them? I also have a pond with fair algae growth..some walls have already small hair like algae already..but im trying to do it in my 75 gallon tank.

Lots of light did it for me. I mean sun light. Can you put the tank in a window area :) ?

I got hair algae outdoors one summer so thick the fish hardly needed me to feed them. It was like grass on the side of the wall lol. :D

Never could get it to grow indoors, only the green filmy stuff or brown on a bad day.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:15 PM, goldfishkeeper said:

Sent from my SM-G930F using TapatalkHere's a good read on the topic of growing algae.

I read that you need a lot of lighting and a rough surface to grow this kind of algae. I saw a couple of diy algae scubbers where in they use plastic mesh that they roughened up with sand paper.

Below is a good read on the topic of growing algae.

http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/how-to-promote-algae-growth-in-the-home-aquarium/

Edited by muffluvin