magpie

Feeding fry

4 posts in this topic

Hello!  I currently have 16 fry that are just over 3 weeks old and was hoping someone had some advice about feeding?  

To begin with I gave them liquifry and some live brine shrimp, but buying the brine shrimp started getting quite expensive so I tried hatching my own... however, I don't know if I was doing something wrong or I just bought rubbish eggs, but I was not very successful at all!  So now the fry are on Hikari first bites and frozen daphnia, which they seem to be doing well on, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could give them?  And what age can they start eating the pellet food that the adults have?

These are my first fry (obviously!) and I really want them to be healthy and grow well :)

You can crush up the pellets you feed the adults to a fine powder.  You can also feed egg whites.

Brine shrimp are great for them.  If you'd like we can try and figure out where you went wrong so you can make that work . . . :D

Welcome to Koko's.

Thank you for the reply!  That's great, I will crush up some pellets and give that a try.  I just want to be able to give them a bit of variety really, so that they are getting everything they need :)

With the brine shrimp, I just watched some tutorials on youtube and did the same.  I did get some hatching, but the majority did not and I found it really difficult to then separate the live shrimp from the unhatched eggs.  I ended up with loads of eggs going into the fry tank and then the fry were having a hard time finding the shrimp amongst all the eggs!  Nightmare!

Welcome to Kokos. Good luck with your fry.