Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KimA.

Is This Ick on Fred? Video!

I did my twice weekly water change yesterday and I can't believe I missed this!

Two other fish  are showing symptoms.

Water parameters are normal.

I have Epsom salt and  Kordon Rid-Ick Plus.   Kanaplex and  Metroplex, too.

My tank is 125  gallons with about 10 small goldies.

There is a 20 gallon QT tank set up.

Should I just  dose the whole tank?

You folks saved Fred last year with your recommendation of antibiotics.

Please advise!   Thanks!

Hope Fred feels better.

We really need the D&D form filled out, especially with details about if any new plants or animals came in.  Even if it looks like ich it might not be and we want to be careful before addition medication.

I give up.

I went  and clicked on Sharon's Help form and hit  Copy.  When I hit Paste here , nothing happens.  This has been a problem before.  

My chrome book also makes me change my password for this site every time I log in.  This isn't an issue on my work computer.

Edited by KimA.

Here ya go.  Quote my post . . .

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

1 hour ago, KimA. said:

I give up.

I went  and clicked on Sharon's Help form and hit  Copy.  When I hit Paste here , nothing happens.  This has been a problem before.  

My chrome book also makes me change my password for this site every time I log in.  This isn't an issue on my work computer.

I didn't know this was a problem. I would be more than happy to try and figure this out with you. I can't fix what I don't know is going on hun.

We are more than happy to help you. :) 

2 hours ago, fantailfan1 said:

Here ya go.  Quote my post . . .

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  40  (well water)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)  40  (well water)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master kit drops
      • * Water temperature? 77-78
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons Running since  May 2016
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  3  Aquaclear 110 and two large sponge filters
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 3rd or 4th night  90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last night  90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  10 goldies  1 1/2 inch to three inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?twice a day Repashy, peas, frozen bloodworms,  shrimp, frozen  seaweed
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes.  Added  one two weeks ago after one month in QT.
  • * Any medications added to the tank?  I just added  Rid-Ick
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi tx for entire tank  8/16  and  11/16  one week each tx.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?No

Edited by KimA.

Thank you FanTailfan1 !!

26 minutes ago, koko said:

I didn't know this was a problem. I would be more than happy to try and figure this out with you. I can't fix what I don't know is going on hun.

We are more than happy to help you. :) 

I know and I really appreciate all the help I get here.  This chrome book is  the pits!

I went ahead and dosed the whole tank with the Rid-Ick since two  others now have dots on their fantails.    I raised the temp, but it will only go up two degrees a day.

Should I add salt?

I vacuum my thin layer of sand with every water change.  My house should be as clean as this darn tank!

Edited by KimA.

29 minutes ago, KimA. said:

I know and I really appreciate all the help I get here.  This chrome book is  the pits!

What kind of browser do you use at work? 

4 hours ago, KimA. said:

I went ahead and dosed the whole tank with the Rid-Ick since two  others now have dots on their fantails.    I raised the temp, but it will only go up two degrees a day.

Should I add salt?

I vacuum my thin layer of sand with every water change.  My house should be as clean as this darn tank!

Please wait next time on the meds.  The rid ich can be extremely harsh on your filter and your animals too, so the first step is salt and heat.  Were these done in quarantine on the new fish?  A month is fairly short unless the water heater was cranked way up precisely because some parasites take awhile to mature in cooler water conditions and become visible or cause symptoms in the fish.

Since you have indeed had a new addition I'd assume this is ich unless it doesn't respond to treatment.  On the next water change remove all the rid ich, slowly turn your heater up to 82-84 degrees if the fish will tolerate it (you may need to add extra aeration/agitation to keep the water oxygenated enough for them), and increase the salt in the tank to .3% according to these instructions:

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

If we don't see an improvement in the ich in a week of salt and heat, at least a reduction in spots, then I suggest we use the rid ich.  But since you're doing the whole tank I'd go with the gentlest treatment first, and the one least impactful on your filter.

Thank you!

Good luck. Hope it works.

Hope your fish and tank mates feel better asap