Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TJPettigrew

Comet Goldfish - Injury? Growth? Parasite? Tumour?

Hi everyone,

So long story short, I inherited my sisters goldfish as she moved out of the province. I've been fish-keeping for 3 years now and have 3 tanks. I'm a member of Fishlore and was suggested to check this forum out.

For now the Goldfish in a 75g Bow Front, which I know is not what they should be in. They came to me in a 54g Bow Front so I immediately upgraded with what was available. Let's not discuss this, they'll be moved to a suitable environment in the spring.

Fish:

1x Large Ryukin 9" (Fancy J) 7-8yr

1x Comet Goldfish 11" (Goldie) 8-9yr

1x Bristlenose Pleco 5.5" (Un-named) 6yr

About 5 weeks ago we noticed Goldie had an "injury" over her right nostril. It looked like maybe she hit the handle of the glass lid while eating and or playing, we've watched it happen previously but never saw any injuries. Nonetheless we lowered the water level and continued to monitor it. As the days and weeks progressed it grew, changed colours and imo continued to get worse. It seems to be busting out of itself while it grows. Little flakes of "dead skin" falls off every couple of days. It's been red, turned almost white and has been purple-ish in colour.

None of the fish show any signs of being in distress, everyone is super active and eating normally. It doesn't seem it be bothering her but it's weirding me out.

My water is always immaculate due to my obsessiveness for the hobby.

I do water changes of 20% twice a week on this tank and keep spreadsheets on all the tests I do before every water change, for all of my tanks.

Filtration:

2x Penguin 350 (700ghp)

1x 75g HydroSponge

1x MaxiJet Powerhead

Tank Parameters:

0ppm

0ppm

5ppm

7.0pH

Tap Parameters:

0.0ppm

0.0ppm

0.0ppm

7.2pH

I think I covered everything, sorry if I missed any helpful info. If I did just ask.

Please look at my photos, hopefully someone can shed some light on this and ease my mind a bit.

88ca5cf36e4f9c5180416b849aa337f9.jpg

e6cc89aa71c0a90ff0718329fb79f420.jpg

d48d50cf13095580311e2df7345926f6.jpg

76f714662c8981a49d6a17f54938e9d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better.

Very pretty fish :welcome

Has the sand been with them all this time?

Im wondering if he got sand in his nose?

Do you have a 10 gallon QT >

They came with small black gravel in the 55g BF and I changed to sand for the 75g. They've had sand for about 3-4 months now.

I have a 30g QT I can set up at a moments notice.

Sand in the nose huh. Interesting. How could that be remedied?

7 hours ago, TJPettigrew said:

They came with small black gravel in the 55g BF and I changed to sand for the 75g. They've had sand for about 3-4 months now.

I have a 30g QT I can set up at a moments notice.

Sand in the nose huh. Interesting. How could that be remedied?

Talking with the Mods/ Disease helpers... Will get back to you ASAP :)

The redness indicates an infection of some sort. We can't tell if its a tumor or something else going on. So If you would like to use colloidal silver. You can get it at a health food store or from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011DN7YQ/ref=sxr_rr_xsim1_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795440402&pd_rd_wg=85tgC&pf_rd_r=JG65V9C7XCPFPQ7QT7FP&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0011DN7YQ&pd_rd_w=L2t9E&pf_rd_i=colloidal+silver+50+ppm&pd_rd_r=P6YBXZJB6W053HR7VKN1&ie=UTF8&qid=1486320523&sr=1

We will be adding this right to the tank. :) 

The redness indicates an infection of some sort. We can't tell if its a tumor or something else going on. So If you would like to use colloidal silver. You can get it at a health food store or from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011DN7YQ/ref=sxr_rr_xsim1_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795440402&pd_rd_wg=85tgC&pf_rd_r=JG65V9C7XCPFPQ7QT7FP&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0011DN7YQ&pd_rd_w=L2t9E&pf_rd_i=colloidal+silver+50+ppm&pd_rd_r=P6YBXZJB6W053HR7VKN1&ie=UTF8&qid=1486320523&sr=1
We will be adding this right to the tank.  

Thanks for the info! I'll absolutely get some and keep it around. If it doesn't start to look better soon I'll dose accordingly and report back with updates.

4 minutes ago, TJPettigrew said:

Thanks for the info! I'll absolutely get some and keep it around. If it doesn't start to look better soon I'll dose accordingly and report back with updates.

When you do decide to dose please post so we can give you the amount to use :) by the kind you buy :)