stech

Feeding Frequency

2 posts in this topic

For Ranchu that are over year old what is the feeding frequency?  Twice daily or just once day is suffice?  I am feeding Thera A 1mm pellets in morning and night or gel food at night.  Temperature is around 75 degrees tank is heated indoor. 

Hi stech,

If you have an idea of your fishes combined weight, take 1.5-2% of that in food as their quota for the day. Since feeding time is the most rewarding for most owners, you can give them a portion of their allotment throughout the day whenever you want to interact with them. If you're busy: feed the whole day's allotment at once. Otherwise most feel that the more smaller feedings (even 4 or 5!) is best for their digestive tracts.

As long as the total fed falls under 2% of their combined weight you'll be fine and you might enjoy the extra feeding times like I do - when I'm not on the go. A little gram/oz kitchen scale is very helpful, both for weighing your fish and their food.

Example: fish 1 is 35 grams, fish 2 is 50 g

85g x .02=  (slightly less than) 1.7 grams of food for the whole day spread out to as many feeding times as what works for your schedule is what I'd recommend.