Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shahbazin

Rainbow Sick, Swollen Throat, Help!

yes hun :)

Yes.

How many days should he be in salted water? I haven't seen any more slime coat shreds, & his tail is almost red-free.

Keep using the salt until he looks fine again.  When I remove a fish from its pond for treatment, I wait at least a week or two after it looks perfectly normal before returning it to the pond.  If it had a serious illness, I might wait a month or two before letting it go home again.

Thanks! I'm not putting him back any time soon, but I was worrying about over or under salting.

You can go up to 0.3% salt if you wish or you can stay at the lower concentration if it appears to work.  Once he looks perfectly healthy, remove the salt and see what happens.

How are you doing?

Thanks for the inquiry, Koko! Between all the water changing, & being in charge of our Girl Scout troop's cookie sale, I haven't been on-line much.

I just put Rainbow back in the main tank this morning :) So far, so good. I'd pulled him out Jan 25th, ran Kanaplex for 6 days, a day off (he'd been looking better, then started looking funny again after a day of no meds), then Sulfaplex for 3 weeks, 5 tblsp salt in 15 gal. for 10 days (shortly after starting the Sulfaplex), the, 3 tblsp salt in 15 gal. for 8 days. This is his 6th day of no meds or salt. I took his heater out 4 days ago. He's had 100% water changes daily for 4 weeks & 5 days.

Close up of Rainbow this morning:
Rainbow27Feb8757_zpswik6h5uy.jpg

Rainbow back with his buddies (I did an 80% water change this AM, & values were ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 before the change):
75gal27Feb8744_zps5e8quykh.jpg

Edited by Shahbazin

Great news!

:thumbup2:

I hope he continues to look good.  Yay!

yay I'm so glad Rainbow is doing well!