Oceair

Filtration - I WANT MORE!

5 posts in this topic

Hello all!

Currently, I own an 85 gallon aquarium that is stocked with 10 anubias plants (I have about 7 more shipping in in 3 days), 7 orandas and a BNP. Yes, I'm aware that I'm a bit overstocked. Yes, I have plans for something a bit bigger when we move in a year or two. I'm currently fighting the urge to order another red cap or two but I really shouldnt. UGH the struggle!!!!!!!!

So far, (KNOCKING ON WOOD), I haven't had water issues since my upgrade. I check my params twice a week and do a weekly, 75% WC. Granted, if I'm not following such a tight schedule, that can change.

My fishies are being fed Saki Hikari Pellets, SeaChem flakes, Freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, spirulina flakes and green peas ( the peas are fed once a week- on Mondays). Their diet is rotated because from what I understand, fish should have a balanced diet just like we do. I will occasionally throw in small thin slivers of zucchini whenever we are cooking with it. I ordered Repashy Soilent Green which should be here in a week or so. I've heard amazing things about this food and am excited to use it! :) 

I currently run the following filters - 

Aquaclear 70, Two Aquaclear 50 and a Fluval C4.

Now, I'm at about 10X turn over (its 11 but I'm rounding down). However, I feel like I want even more filtration. You can never have too much right? I'm just a bit paranoid is all. 

I don't have much room to do another HOB filter so I was looking at Canister filters. 

I never had one but would like to add one on. I'd build something on my own but I SUCK at DIY. 

I'm trying to stay in a $150 and under budget for the filter. 

Is there a brand or type that you could recommend and the pros and cons you've experienced?

Thank you! :)

Welcome to Kokos.

When you test your water, what results are you getting for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate both mid week and just before a WC?

Yes, you are overstocked so please don't get more fish.  More filtration may not really help with overstocking in your case assuming your current set up is handling the ammonia and nitrite.  The limiting factor will be the nitrate reading and the best way to keep nitrate in check is with good ole WCs . . . 

Welcome!   Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

Additional filtration does not substitute for water volume unless the filter holds enough water so that the tank+filter system has significantly more volume than the tank alone.  You can accomplish this with a DIY pond-type filter or with a sump filter.  

As Lisa (fantailfan1) said,  you can only compensate for inadequate water volume by increased water changes.  

Edited by shakaho

Welcome to Kokos! I agree with what has been said above. I wouldn't advise getting another fish. 

Edited by Mikey