Kokos Goldfish Forum
labecs

Canister filter broke... how long till I have a problem?

Hi!!  My tank is 45 gallons and I have 3 Goldies, the largest one about 4 inches long, one medium, and one about 1.5.   My canister filter broke, well, not the filter, that thin little ceramic pole (aargh)  that makes the propeller turn... I was not able to get one close by so I ordered it and it will take a couple of days to get here. In the meantime I have the canister with an air pump pumping bubbles into it, and in the tank I have two large sponge filters. So two questions: how long can the tank be with only the two sponge filters, and how long will the bacteria in the canister media survive? 

7 minutes ago, labecs said:

Hi!!  My tank is 45 gallons and I have 3 Goldies, the largest one about 4 inches long, one medium, and one about 1.5.   My canister filter broke, well, not the filter, that thin little ceramic pole (aargh)  that makes the propeller turn... I was not able to get one close by so I ordered it and it will take a couple of days to get here. In the meantime I have the canister with an air pump pumping bubbles into it, and in the tank I have two large sponge filters. So two questions: how long can the tank be with only the two sponge filters, and how long will the bacteria in the canister media survive? 

A couple of days should be an issue at all hun. As long as the Media is wet it should be good for a long time. :) I would just make sure you keep an eye on the ammonia levels :)

Thank you, Koko!!!  And if ammonia rises, only water changes until it cycles again, right?  The sponge filters will help, though, no?

You shouldn't have a problem at all.  For complete safety,  test every day, reduce feeding a bit, use Seachem Prime water conditioner, and up your water changes.