Sign in to follow this  
Chris1251

Weather effects the city water :(

11 posts in this topic

Chris here... Dang!  I got a water issue again... :(

California has been a 5 year drought...  The rain fall we are getting this winter has officially ended the drought in th north but we in this south have not had an official declaration as yet...  But after 5 years of minimal rain...  The large rain runoff is messing with the city water... Grrrrrr...  up until last week my tap water has always been PH 8.2, Ammonia.25, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates 0....  Now with all the runoff my tap is PH 8.0 - 8.2, Ammonia .25 - .50, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates 10 :(.  So guess who is doing a WC every 3 days...

I know it's temporary... But dang it all, I'm not liking it!!! 

Does anyone have any suggestions to assist me in managing this short term pain in my booty??? :thud 

Thanks in advance... :heart 

1 hour ago, Chris1251 said:

Chris here... Dang!  I got a water issue again... :(

California has been a 5 year drought...  The rain fall we are getting this winter has officially ended the drought in th north but we in this south have not had an official declaration as yet...  But after 5 years of minimal rain...  The large rain runoff is messing with the city water... Grrrrrr...  up until last week my tap water has always been PH 8.2, Ammonia.25, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates 0....  Now with all the runoff my tap is PH 8.0 - 8.2, Ammonia .25 - .50, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates 10 :(.  So guess who is doing a WC every 3 days...

I know it's temporary... But dang it all, I'm not liking it!!! 

Does anyone have any suggestions to assist me in managing this short term pain in my booty??? :thud 

Thanks in advance... :heart 

Maybe a RO system :)

24 minutes ago, koko said:

Maybe a RO system :)

Maybe if I win the lotto!!!  I would love ❤️ to have an RO system... Then I wouldn't have to scape the top glass every dang week...   :happydance

43 minutes ago, Chris1251 said:

Maybe if I win the lotto!!!  I would love ❤️ to have an RO system... Then I wouldn't have to scape the top glass every dang week...   :happydance

:k055:

Rain barrel.  Then use a mixture of tap and rain water.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Good idea. :thumbs:

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Chris here...  Shakaho, great idea...  we will get more rain tomorrow... I'll put all my buckets out and see how much I can catch...  we are supposed to to get 3 back to back storms with lots rain...  I added a bag of purigen at the last water change on the16th hoping that it would assist in keeping the nitrates check...  I think it has helped.  This mornings test I'd at PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5...  So no WC today!!!! :happydance  I fully expected to be up to my arm pits doing another WC today...  YAY!!!!! 

Chris here... Buckets are out.. Trying to catch the rain....  The hubby thinks I'm nuts :crazy: as usual....  He says is is the "Fish Whisperer" you know... :booty Based on is wonder care of them, when I was 2 month away of a family emergency...  Which is most likely very true... But that doesn't include the poop monster emergency he had... :rofl3 And I didn't have the :heart to remind him of it.... :teehee 

:teehee

Chris here...  well the rain will be leaving tomorrow...  I was able to collect about 6 gallons of rain water....  I have a new fish coming on Wednesday...  So I set up a QT tub at about 70% tap and 30% rain...  the result of the blend is PH 8, Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5....  I double dosed with prime and plan to add purigen to the filter and retest tomorrow...  I'm hoping that that will be a good start for the QT while our city water has huge run off issues...  the tap is still testing at PH 8, Ammonia .50, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10...  yuk!!!  I have about 4 gallons of rain water ? remaining for my 40 gal for a partial WC this week...  

I may have to purchase water on temp basis until the city's water settles back down...  if so what is the best option???  

Dang...  I really hate water issues.... :tantrum 

Thanks for your help!!! :heart 

Buckets won't collect enough water for water changes.  You need a rainbarrel to collect the water that runs off the roof.  I know people will say that water gets contaminated from the roof, but I have yet to hear anyone say that they collected rainwater and it hurt their fish.