Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GothSpice

Lost scales in feeding station accident

I just received an Eheim feeding station in the mail on Thursday. I have two goldfish, Asimov and Kritlaq. At first I was very pleased with the new feeding station because it allowed Asimov (the smaller one) to get food without being shoved aside by Kritlaq/having to chase the food all over the tank. The problem is, Kritlaq has rammed himself into the feeder whilst I fed them twice now, each time knocking off a scale. Tonight, I sneezed while feeding them, frightening Asimov, and causing him to knock off two scales as well.

Now I know for a fact that these wounds were caused by this and not by flashing, because you could clearly see the differences immediately before and after. I'm not ready to give up on this experiment yet, because Asimov understood it so quickly and because it has allowed him to get his fair share, AND it has significantly reduced the amount of excess food waste being introduced to the tank.

So my question is this: Should I go ahead and add some API Stress Coat to the tank to help them heal? Or salt? Or should I just leave well enough alone? I'm giving this one week, and if they can't figure it out without hurting themselves by then I'm calling it quits on the feeder.

What do you guys think?

I would make sure the water is nice and clean and if you need to add salt :)

Thankfully I just did a massive water change a few days ago, and I'm building an aquaponics system with my father that will be running in the next week or so (will do a separate post about that soon!).

Tomorrow I'll do a smaller water change and gently rinse my filter. That's due in a week anyways so I'll just step it up a bit. 

As as for the salt, there's a permanent page here on the correct procedure and dosage, right? What section is that under?

Oop, totally found the salt articles. Never mind! Thank you Miss Koko! ^_^

As Koko said, clean water will work fine.  Fish lose scales quite often.

7 hours ago, shakaho said:

As Koko said, clean water will work fine.  Fish lose scales quite often.

Okay cool. I'm glad it's nothing too serious!