emmagir

preventing spawning?

5 posts in this topic

I have a fancy goldfish tank with 2 male, 2 female and one that I haven't found the sex of yet. Both of my males have been chasing both the females. Does anyone know any way of stopping the males from chasing so much. I am not home to float the females for 3 days in a row and I'm nervous the males will hurt the females is there any other way to stop the spawning and keep the females safe?

The only sure thing I know is separating them. Either moving the two females to another tank or placing a divider in the tank.

You might be able to slow things down by decreasing the water temp. But I'm not sure. I know an increase in temp can sometimes cause them to spawn but I'm not sure if the reverse is true.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

If the females have eggs, I'm not so sure you want to prevent them from spawning as they could end up eggbound . . .

This is true^

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Goldfish may spawn every two weeks from spring to fall. You can only stop spawning by having single sex tanks.  I've not seen any data to support the (quite sensible) idea that females without males have a greater risk of becoming eggbound.  In all the cases that I have read where a female dies from being eggbound, she was in a tank/pond with males.