Sign in to follow this  
Planted

Can't imagine life without a python!

24 posts in this topic

Life would suck if I had to use the bucket for water changes with a 125 gallon every week!

f03bd652af1ad23ca120580c245ff585.jpg

Sure glad I have a python lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my python. I use a pump with it to drain now and then just use it as a hose to fill. It's great with my 160g and 80g tanks

I like buckets as the job gets done faster, but I bet a python is less messy and easier on the back. :)

I like buckets as the job gets done faster, but I bet a python is less messy and easier on the back.

lol it would take me about 20 five gallon buckets just to take around 75% water out of my tank I would be done for the next day and a week after that haha! ☠️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I would have a lot less tanks and smaller ones.

I still use bucket's to add water back to my 125 and 55. Great exercise!!!

I say I remember when I had an 80 Gallon tank doing buckets then got the Python... Oh man those days sucked with out the Python :thud

Just got thru doing a big water change on my 90 gal tank.  I went a little over a week as we were very busy with a new grandbaby arriving!  So I REALLY gave the gravel a good cleaning, went ahead and removed a good bit of the water & then refilled. I remember the days BEFORE THE PYTHON but I really like WITH much better!!!!  (Now I may have a few nightmares from thinking about lugging buckets of water to & fro!!!!)

I do two large water changes a week and the python is the only way to go.  The idea of draining the tank into the sink isn't appealing, so I run it out  the back door into the garden area.

1 hour ago, KimA. said:

I do two large water changes a week and the python is the only way to go.  The idea of draining the tank into the sink isn't appealing, so I run it out  the back door into the garden area.

I used to when the tank was close to the sliding glass door. Now its in the back of the house. Got to use the tub :lol

I don't even hook it up when I am cleaning & removing water.....it's just a giant siphon hose...I shuffle thru the gravel until it's all clean.then I hook it to the sink to refill!  It is a MUST HAVE on a good size tank! I suggest you get The Claw to attach so you never end up with an injured goldie...the suction is very powerful even when NOT hooked to the sink! I don't use the Claw when actually cleaning the gravel because I am constantly watching but often I finish gravel cleaning & still want to remove more water.so then I pop on THE CLAW!! 

I left my w/c in Florida when we moved back to NY :( Hubby made me a diy with funnel and clear hose from the hardware store,and I fill with a regular hose in the kitchen sink,There's no way I could do the bucket business on the big tank,But I do with my Betta tanks :)

I started my new 100g, and thanks to the reviews on here, I bought a Python.  Wow does it make life easy!  I remember my dad lugging big buckets of water back and forth.  Now I just watch TV and let the Python do all the work.

1 hour ago, mcpesq817 said:

I started my new 100g, and thanks to the reviews on here, I bought a Python.  Wow does it make life easy!  I remember my dad lugging big buckets of water back and forth.  Now I just watch TV and let the Python do all the work.

yeah the last tank I picked up buckets for was my 80 gallon tank... What a pain in the :fbottom:

I did changes on the 55 via a regular siphon and the outdoor hose. The tank was right near a window. Drained the water out the window and then strung the outdoor hose in through the window to refill. Bucket changes on a 55 gallon tank? I think I would die.

41 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I did changes on the 55 via a regular siphon and the outdoor hose. The tank was right near a window. Drained the water out the window and then strung the outdoor hose in through the window to refill. Bucket changes on a 55 gallon tank? I think I would die.

I did it back in the day where there wasn't a Python. I had a 80, 30, 45 and a pond... The pond was a pop up kind in the day.... It wasn't easy at all. Probably one reason my back hurts so much now :o besides the tank and stand I picked up off the floor :thud 

58 minutes ago, koko said:

I did it back in the day where there wasn't a Python. I had a 80, 30, 45 and a pond... The pond was a pop up kind in the day.... It wasn't easy at all. Probably one reason my back hurts so much now :o besides the tank and stand I picked up off the floor :thud 

My back tends to hurt, too but it's more likely due to the two large things in front of my rib cage lol

Edited by mjfromga

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

My back tends to hurt, too but it's more likely due to the two large things in front of my rib cage lol

:rofl:tomuch:

Melons :rofl 

It puzzles be why people want to do large water changes once a week.  10% a day, even with buckets, takes only a few minutes and one never has to worry about temperature, pH or other changes that make the fish uncomfortable.  

31 minutes ago, shakaho said:

It puzzles be why people want to do large water changes once a week.  10% a day, even with buckets, takes only a few minutes and one never has to worry about temperature, pH or other changes that make the fish uncomfortable.  

It's as you say, it is better for the fish to do smaller but more frequent changes. This is especially true if there are pH issues, which I am very familiar with. It is obvious that you figured this out long ago. Some others have as well, but I don't suspect many have. 

Despite that, most sites still recommend a 50% (or whatnot) change per week. This site says that, too and while it is true that 50% per week does not mean all at once, that is how most people will interpret it. 

With that being said, I don't think people *want* to do their changes this way, especially if they realized that its more beneficial for their fish if they DON'T change water like that. I simply think that's how everyone has been taught to do them. Conditioned I suppose. 

They just add their water changes to their weekly bucket list of things to do and its just something that has stuck. I am certain that if most people realize that this was not the best way to do water changes, they would not do them this way. 

And I'm sure there are some who just can't be bothered with buckets every day. I don't think that would be most people, though. 

I know I should do them smaller everyday or every other day. but for me I think its I forget then I need to do a water change. 

MJ your right ppl do read it as this and things have been changing a lot over the years. Man I remember when I first started this site, information was so limited we where all just trying to put things together. Now that things have gotten bigger more ppl on the web the more things change. Change is good, Change we all learn. Im all for learning and changing. 

So one small step for goldfish and big step for us humans :rofl 

16 minutes ago, visualkeirockstar said:

Python wastes a lot of water. I don't use it.

Well if you hook it to the tap while trying to empty the tank then yes. I just get it to suck and out into my tub it goes. When I was where I could stick it out the window or sliding door I did. But I never use the Tap to empty the tank out just to fill it :) 

Yeah the python is the only reason I keep Goldfish currently, these guys produce so much waste it's ridiculous. Buckets are not an option.