jlevender72

Does anyone use powerheads for their goldfish tanks?

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,
So I'm fairly new to gold fish, but I think I've been doing pretty good so far. I am keeping 5 comet goldfish in an 80 Gallon tank. The fish are all 2-3 inches long. I use an Eheim canister filter which works awesome, but I feel like it doesn't create very much water flow for my tank and some debris and particles seem to stay suspended in my water for quite awhile. Does anyone here use powerheads to create more circulation in their tank? Do Gold fish enjoy the added current or is it detrimental to them somehow? Can there be any downsides to running one occasionally? Thanks for any advice you can give, it is greatly appreciated.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 4 single tail goldfish in a 75 gal., & my filtration is an Aquaclear 110 at one end, & a SunSun JP 23 powerhead on an ATI hydro sponge 5 pro. The powerhead really helps circulate the water, & the fish enjoy playing in the current. 

Welcome to Kokos!  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  

I know some people (for example, Shabazin :D) have goldfish that like current, but in general, goldfish prefer quiet water.  Increasing the flow in your tank should increase the amount of debris in suspension.  An additional filter would do more to remove debris.  How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?  What water change schedule do you have?  Ideally, your filter removes all suspended debris from the water, and you clean up that which settles on the bottom when you do your water changes.

Added current won't harm your fish.  If they don't like it, they will find the quiet spots in the tank.  

We don't often hear of an  80 gallon tank.  How long, wide, and tall is it?

Edited by shakaho

Welcome to Kokos!  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  
I know some people (for example, Shabazin :D) have goldfish that like current, but in general, goldfish prefer quiet water.  Increasing the flow in your tank should increase the amount of debris in suspension.  An additional filter would do more to remove debris.  How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?  What water change schedule do you have?  Ideally, your filter removes all suspended debris from the water, and you clean up that which settles on the bottom when you do your water changes.
Added current won't harm your fish.  If they don't like it, they will find the quiet spots in the tank.  
We don't often hear of an  80 gallon tank.  How long, wide, and tall is it?

Thanks for the info! I've also been considering buying a second canister filter. I have been doing 50% water changes weekly, and sucking up loose debris with the siphon. I honestly don't think the small stuff floating in my tank is harmful, it just looks better to me when the water is crystal clear. I'm not sure the brand of my tank, I bought it used for a very good price though and with some vigorous cleaning got it looking brand new. It's 48"Wx24"Hx16"D. After doing some research I think I may be feeding them a little more than they need. Maybe that's what is causing the small bits of debris and waste?

You didn't say anything about cleaning your filter.  A filter choked with debris can explain your unclear water.  If that isn't the problem, look at overfeeding next.   How many gallons per hour does your filter turn over?

You didn't say anything about cleaning your filter.  A filter choked with debris can explain your unclear water.  If that isn't the problem, look at overfeeding next.   How many gallons per hour does your filter turn over?

It's an Eheim 2217, so it's supposed to be around 264 gph. I've only had my fish a few months. I cleaned it about a week ago. Is cleaning canisters every three months acceptable?

I have two canisters on my 72 gallon, and I clean one every week, alternating back and forth so they each get cleaned 2x a month.  I know others go longer than this though!

:welcome by the way :D

From our Guidelines for Healthy Goldfish:

"Canisters have more filter volume, and we recommend they turn over at least 5-7 times the tank volume per hour."  For an 80 gallon tank, that means 400 to 560 gallons per hour, but your filter should remove visible debris from the water.  It doesn't, so it probably needs cleaning.  Debris clogging the mechanical medium in the filter decreases the flow through the filter, reducing its effectiveness.   I usually recommend emptying the filter and rinsing the medium with your weekly water change.