Jump to content
Lizzy

Anyone ever use filter starter balls?

39 posts in this topic

So I'm in the process of cycling my tank. I used the Dr. Tim's One and Only and I'm just starting to see nitrites forming. Which is great! I know cycling can take a long time. But I stumbled upon these little guys in the hopes of helping it along:
c6fc6781bbdd2fbf61a4fc7192951421.jpg
b500b9508d916db412d3e14be66fdedd.jpg
I had seen @woah_there_satan using something similar and it got me researching. You can see her post here https://instagram.com/p/BDgxjEokcVF/
After a few internet searches I found them in the US at a company called Great Wave Engineering. I paid $5 plus shipping for the little packet. It says that a 1/4 of the package is good for 40 gallons and that they can last for up to a year if kept sealed in the baggie.
The reviews on their site are great. Definitely seem like something worth trying out. I'm also curious if anyone here has given it a go. Here's the link to the product page https://greatwaveeng.com/shop/media/filter-starter-balls/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oo, starter balls! I've never seen those before. You might be our tester :teehee


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never seen those before. I think your right Speckles, she will have to be our ball tester :lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You ladies

First it was all about MJ"s wood now you're all over Lizzy's balls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha oh my goodness gals! ?

But in all seriousness, I'll keep you posted on how they work out!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look interesting! I'd definitely be interested in knowing how it works out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can get a meaningful test of the balls in a tank in which you have already used Dr. Tim's One and Only, which works well for most people.  

If you really want to test the balls, perhaps you could set up a small tank and filter with just the balls and ammonia and see what happens.

 

I wonder if they bought a barrel of Seachem Stability and found a way to embed it in the little balls.  I say that because of the denitrification claimed for the balls and Stability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, muffluvin said:

You ladies emoji28.png

First it was all about MJ"s wood now you're all over Lizzy's balls emoji38.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well we like Balls, Wood and well other things :rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shakaho said:

I don't think you can get a meaningful test of the balls in a tank in which you have already used Dr. Tim's One and Only, which works well for most people.  

If you really want to test the balls, perhaps you could set up a small tank and filter with just the balls and ammonia and see what happens.

 

I wonder if they bought a barrel of Seachem Stability and found a way to embed it in the little balls.  I say that because of the denitrification claimed for the balls and Stability.

I agree hun. I would like to see it in an empty tank set up. :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think you can get a meaningful test of the balls in a tank in which you have already used Dr. Tim's One and Only, which works well for most people.  
If you really want to test the balls, perhaps you could set up a small tank and filter with just the balls and ammonia and see what happens.
 
I wonder if they bought a barrel of Seachem Stability and found a way to embed it in the little balls.  I say that because of the denitrification claimed for the balls and Stability.


Ah very good point indeed! I'll hold off on adding them then, even though I'm not seeming to have much luck with the Dr. Tim's, as far as his claims go.

I'm curious as well!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree hun. I would like to see it in an empty tank set up. :thumbs:


Haha one project at a time! But I am interested to see it in a more controlled environment too. Once this silly tank of mine decides to cycle, I can get another one going. I've been dreaming of having a lil pea puffer in a smaller community tank! And Bettas again lol. My poor husband


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

 


Haha one project at a time! But I am interested to see it in a more controlled environment too. Once this silly tank of mine decides to cycle, I can get another one going. I've been dreaming of having a lil pea puffer in a smaller community tank! And Bettas again lol. My poor husband emoji28.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I love Puffers :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, muffluvin said:

You ladies emoji28.png

First it was all about MJ"s wood now you're all over Lizzy's balls emoji38.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

 

:tomuch:  How have I missed this conversation?  I'm sure if Dawn saw this she'd have something to say. :rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fantailfan1 said:

 

:tomuch:  How have I missed this conversation?  I'm sure if Dawn saw this she'd have something to say. :rofl

yup there wood go a thread... :tomuch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, koko said:

yup there wood go a thread... :tomuch:

I just tried to tell TD about this and all I had to say is a thread of balls came up and he Face Palmed me :tomuch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:doh11:  <----TD upon hearing about our shenanigans. :rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fantailfan1 said:

:doh11:  <----TD upon hearing about our shenanigans. :rofl

:teehee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I am!!!! In my experience. The bigger the better!!!! Yeah baby!!!!   :teehee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Here I am!!!! In my experience. The bigger the better!!!! Yeah baby!!!!   :teehee

But the question is does the bigger ones last longer?

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She has arrived.  Prepare for the thread to go straight to the gutter. :tomuch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel E. said:


But the question is does the bigger ones last longer?

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk
 

They are so big it takes a while for them to get smaller!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ALWAYS better to have big wood and big balls together!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris here...  I ordered the balls, before they landed in the gutter...  I'll  use a couple of them in a QT tub to check the potency... :rofl3.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chris1251 said:

Chris here...  I ordered the balls, before they landed in the gutter...  I'll  use a couple of them in a QT tub to check the potency... :rofl3.  

I hope you get some nice big ball's!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2017 at 4:34 PM, DawnMichele said:

I hope you get some nice big ball's!!!! 

Chris here...  The balls have arrived...  Dawn Michele...  You would be sorely disappointed in size... the largest seems to be about 1/2 inch in. Diameter...  The smallest, about 1/4 inch...  But there's lots in the "very" little bag... Hopefully they are mighty!!! :rofl3   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now