Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fastlane

Filter inquiry

8 posts in this topic

Hello there KokosGoldfish members!! :) Been quite awhile since I've posted. Been busy for awhile. Anyways, planning to use  HOB again and remove the Canister filter. So I would be running 2 HOB's. Plan to use the media from my CF --> HOB. But I got too many media from my CF, can I keep the left over media? And when I plan to use the CF again, can I use the stored?stock media? Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of media is it? Ceramic rings/beads? 

 

I keep my ceramic media. If it's been used for QT tanks or something of the sorts I boil it for 5 minutes to sterilize it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What kind of media is it? Ceramic rings/beads? 

 

I keep my ceramic media. If it's been used for QT tanks or something of the sorts I boil it for 5 minutes to sterilize it. 

it is ceramic beads. came from an EHEIM CF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be going to use some of the ceramic media(beads) on my HOB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest you put the excess medium in a mesh bag.  Nylon stockings make good bags.  You can buy knee-highs very cheaply if you don't know someone who would donate discards.  Then hang the bag in the tank, ideally with an airstone under it.  This assures that all of your nitrifiers  get into the new tank.  After a month, you can remove the bag.  

If you have no immediate use for cycled medium you can rinse the medium and store it.  You can certainly use it again.  This stuff doesn't wear out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shakaho said:

I suggest you put the excess medium in a mesh bag.  Nylon stockings make good bags.  You can buy knee-highs very cheaply if you don't know someone who would donate discards.  Then hang the bag in the tank, ideally with an airstone under it.  This assures that all of your nitrifiers  get into the new tank.  After a month, you can remove the bag.  

If you have no immediate use for cycled medium you can rinse the medium and store it.  You can certainly use it again.  This stuff doesn't wear out.

Thank you for the response.

If I keep em, that means I have to re-cycle them again, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, unless you keep them in water with a bit of ammonia from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Yes, unless you keep them in water with a bit of ammonia from time to time.

okay, thank you for the help. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×