Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Shahbazin

Water Changes - Your Best Friend

3 posts in this topic

A cautionary tale about water changes... I admit it - over the month of December, dealing with numerous get-togethers, dinner at other people's houses & hosting 3 dinners for 9 people at our house - I cleaned my goldfish on day 9, then three day 8s. They are continuing to grow, in a rather impressive fashion - I think my old every 7 day schedule was beginning to push the boundaries, & that extra stretch in their cleaning cycle made my nitrates go way up. I had done a round of Prazi just before the holiday madness, & since then, the upper & lower edges of Rainbow's tail were looking funny - not the clearish/whitish they normally were, but sort of yellowish, with some webby blood specks in places, & 2 small splits (3/4 cm) eventually appeared near the top & bottom edges. No one else looked different, & everyone was real lively. The tail seemed to improve a little, then regress - he didn't act funny, so I was keeping an eye on it. I worried he had some hideous infection, possibly contagious, but thought I'd test their water, just in case, as I hadn't been doing that for the last month either. PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate - 80+!!!! Not the darkest color, but a very deep orange (5 days since last water change, & my usual reading was 20-30 after 7 days). I immediately did an 80% water change, & checked 24 hours later - nitrates now 20. Rainbow's tail is already looking better again. I plan another water change tomorrow, then try out an every 5 day schedule (as opposed to 1x/week) & see how well that works. Once in a while, I'd slipped in an extra day between changes with no harm to the water chemistry, but never so many in a row, & not since the fish put on their latest growth spurt. Truly, clean water is the best medicine, & I'm going to be extra vigilant now!

11 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

A cautionary tale about water changes... I admit it - over the month of December, dealing with numerous get-togethers, dinner at other people's houses & hosting 3 dinners for 9 people at our house - I cleaned my goldfish on day 9, then three day 8s. They are continuing to grow, in a rather impressive fashion - I think my old every 7 day schedule was beginning to push the boundaries, & that extra stretch in their cleaning cycle made my nitrates go way up. I had done a round of Prazi just before the holiday madness, & since then, the upper & lower edges of Rainbow's tail were looking funny - not the clearish/whitish they normally were, but sort of yellowish, with some webby blood specks in places, & 2 small splits (3/4 cm) eventually appeared near the top & bottom edges. No one else looked different, & everyone was real lively. The tail seemed to improve a little, then regress - he didn't act funny, so I was keeping an eye on it. I worried he had some hideous infection, possibly contagious, but thought I'd test their water, just in case, as I hadn't been doing that for the last month either. PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate - 80+!!!! Not the darkest color, but a very deep orange (5 days since last water change, & my usual reading was 20-30 after 7 days). I immediately did an 80% water change, & checked 24 hours later - nitrates now 20. Rainbow's tail is already looking better again. I plan another water change tomorrow, then try out an every 5 day schedule (as opposed to 1x/week) & see how well that works. Once in a while, I'd slipped in an extra day between changes with no harm to the water chemistry, but never so many in a row, & not since the fish put on their latest growth spurt. Truly, clean water is the best medicine, & I'm going to be extra vigilant now!

:thumbup2:

Preach. November and December were tough on me, too, and now I'm trying really hard to make it up to the fish.