• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.5
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH=8.0 KH=90
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH=8.0-8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? 77F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 B for about 4 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 50-2 of them
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50-80%

A couple of days ago I noticed a dark area that seemed to be "deep" in the wen, so not on the surface.  Today it is more visible and is on the surface, but it extends into the wen, hard to tell in these photos.  Hoping this is not something too serious!  The fish is acting 100% normal otherwise.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, both about 3"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, baking soda
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3x per day, NLS Thera A and repashy
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt and Prazi per QT schedule as outlined in Koko's Forum, this was back in Sept
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No otherwise acting totally normal

image1 (1).JPG

image2 (1).JPG

image3.JPG

I just went to have a closer look at the red spot...it felt soft as though it was part of the wen and did not appear to be a "hole."  It does not look any better/worse today.  Hopefully this additional info can help with diagnosis :)

Hope his spot heals quickly.

OK what kind of meds do you have on hand.?

Also can I see a full tank shot.

Do you have hydroperoxide?

You can try swabbing hydrogen peroxide as Koko was suggesting, it's a good first step. Those red spots are worrying if they are soft because that soft of necrotizing of the wen is associated with things like Hexamita infections.  Are you sure you have seen no changes in appetite, body condition, or behavior?

With luck it's just a little bacterial ulcer and swabbing it when it bursts will solve the issue.  If you have or can get metronidazole that would be useful since we will treat it if the topical swan doesn't do it.  Either way, fish needs to be quarantined until you know what you're dealing with so we don't risk spreading bacteria to the other fish or weakening the sick fish further with the bioload from the main tank.  

Do you have a quarantine tank?  We would want to keep the water very clean and warm it up a little more if the fish tolerates it - increased slowly to 80 degrees of the fish continues breathing and swimming normally will help speed up the life cycle of the bacteria or parasite causing the issue.  Then just watch the fish and be ready to swab the affected area if it ruptures or let us know if the flesh begins flaking off and a raw or sunken spot remains (or if more red spots show up).

Thank you.  Yes I have both Hydrogen Peroxide and Metromeds so I will go ahead and set up a QT tank now.  I will make updates :)

Thank you.  Yes I have both Hydrogen Peroxide and Metromeds so I will go ahead and set up a QT tank now.  I will make updates :)  I think I will have to do a bucket to bucket QT with this guy, changing the bucket 2x per day.  I already have a QT set up with my new arrivals from ECR and space is limited.  I hope that is an okay plan.

36 minutes ago, Josie said:

Thank you.  Yes I have both Hydrogen Peroxide and Metromeds so I will go ahead and set up a QT tank now.  I will make updates :)  I think I will have to do a bucket to bucket QT with this guy, changing the bucket 2x per day.  I already have a QT set up with my new arrivals from ECR and space is limited.  I hope that is an okay plan.

you will have to keep an eye on that ammonia. some fish everyday or every other day in a QT.

The dark color of the affected area is already starting to go away after just a couple of swabs with Hydrogen Peroxide.  It still doesn't look like a "hole" underneath to me...and the fish is still eating and acting 100% normal.  So I guess that is all good news....and yes Koko I am changing the water morning and night and using Prime because I don't want to worry about Ammonia.

6 minutes ago, Josie said:

The dark color of the affected area is already starting to go away after just a couple of swabs with Hydrogen Peroxide.  It still doesn't look like a "hole" underneath to me...and the fish is still eating and acting 100% normal.  So I guess that is all good news....and yes Koko I am changing the water morning and night and using Prime because I don't want to worry about Ammonia.

This is good news keep it up for a few days... Then please send us a photos :)

What happened to your oranda?  I have been struggling with this exact problem for months.  I have done peroxide, iodine, biobandage, nitrofuranole, everything and I keep losing the fish.  I have a 150g tank with 450g fluval cartridge filter, weekly water changes and check water constantly.  The last guess I have is hex- I started hex-shield food 2 days ago and added metroplex to the water today.  My jade seal oranda looks just like your picture- appetite is good but I noticed last evening, besides the red spots on the wen that I have been fighting literally for weeks, it appeared he had a slightly prolapsed vent.  It looks resolved this evening but I would sure appreciate any feedback anyone can give me on this nightmare.  Thanks.  

Edited by OrandaMom
pics