Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fish Of Gold

Something is wrong with Dreamsicle! Growths?

Long time, no see, but I have a problem with Dreamsicle, he has a growth near his top fin on his back and around his left eye. You can see how the areas are raised in the reflection in the picture.

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank). 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank). 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank). 5.0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap). 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap). 0    
  • * Nitrate level(Tap). 5.0 
  • * Ph Level, Tank. 8.0
  • * Ph Level, Tap. 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? .API drops
    • * Water temperature? .64 F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) .40 Gallon Breeder that has been set up for about 2 1/2 years.
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? .AquaClear 70 ~ Two of them.
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? .Once a week, 50% changed, sometimes more than 50%. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?. 5 days ago, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? .3 goldfish 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? .Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? .Once a day a mixture of Omega One pellets, Southern Delight pellets, Elive Goldfish Color Granules, and NLS Thera A. all mixed together in a container and give enough for each fish to get a mouthful. Once a week they get Blood Worms instead of pellets, and occasionally some Repashy, peas, or algae sheets as a treat.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? .No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? .No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. .Prazi for annual maintenance about 5 months ago.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? .Light colored, raised patch on upper back by top fin and around left eye.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? .No, he acts normal and otherwise seems fine, he's active and is eating well.

102_9161.JPG

Can you give us a full tank shot or video please :)

21 hours ago, koko said:

Can you give us a full tank shot or video please :)

Sure, I'll get a picture after the camera battery is fully charged in a little while.

Here is a full shot of the tank that Dreamsicle is in, with Creamsicle and Popsicle as his tank mates.

102_9231.JPG

Hope Dreamsicle feels better.

Are those ornaments hollow hun?

I would like you to start with a QT tank with heater and epsom salt.  of 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

1 hour ago, koko said:

Are those ornaments hollow hun?

I would like you to start with a QT tank with heater and epsom salt.  of 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

The wishing well one is hollow on the bottom part where the well is, but the "Well" part is open and has a big disk bubbler inside with LED lights inside the well part. The other decorations are a plastic plant, a glass alligator, and 3 real rocks.

Oh wow, OK. I do have a 10 gallon storage box QT tank I use for when I get new Goldfish, so I'll use that one. I'll have to set the QT tank up tomorrow because it is cold, super windy,and raining here and the QT tank is in the storage unit and I'd have to walk there seeing our truck is having starting issues and haven't been able to use it since October. :thumbdown I have plenty of Epsom salt thank goodness. :) What temp should the heater be set to after I get the tank set up?

2 minutes ago, Fish Of Gold said:

The wishing well one is hollow on the bottom part where the well is, but the "Well" part is open and has a big disk bubbler inside with LED lights inside the well part. The other decorations are a plastic plant, a glass alligator, and 3 real rocks.

Oh wow, OK. I do have a 10 gallon storage box QT tank I use for when I get new Goldfish, so I'll use that one. I'll have to set the QT tank up tomorrow because it is cold, super windy,and raining here and the QT tank is in the storage unit and I'd have to walk there seeing our truck is having starting issues and haven't been able to use it since October. :thumbdown I have plenty of Epsom salt thank goodness. :) What temp should the heater be set to after I get the tank set up?

I would if it was me take out all ornaments.  The QT temp I would have at 78F :) to start :)

Ok I have the 10 gallon QT tank set up with 1/4 teaspoon Epsom salt added and the heater is set to 78 degrees F. Just letting him get used to the temp while floating him in a bag of water for a while before adding him to the QT tank.

So now what will I have to do after I put him in the QT tank?

5 hours ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Ok I have the 10 gallon QT tank set up with 1/4 teaspoon Epsom salt added and the heater is set to 78 degrees F. Just letting him get used to the temp while floating him in a bag of water for a while before adding him to the QT tank.

So now what will I have to do after I put him in the QT tank?

Keep that water clean so if you need to change it out every day to keep the ammonia down that would be good. or you can place a small filter on there. I would like you to do the Epsom salt for 2 days and report back if any thing changes. If not we might do meds :(

Does he always have fluid around his eyes?  I agree epsom and clean water is a solid start, but would be surprised if it kicked this alone. 

10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Does he always have fluid around his eyes?  I agree epsom and clean water is a solid start, but would be surprised if it kicked this alone. 

Agree just wanted to see how far it would go down by its self... What kind of med do you think we should go for next?

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

No he hasn't had that around his eye before. He didn't get that until a couple of days after I had noticed that patch forming on his back.

1 hour ago, Fish Of Gold said:

No he hasn't had that around his eye before. He didn't get that until a couple of days after I had noticed that patch forming on his back.

can we get some photos new of him  :)

38 minutes ago, koko said:

can we get some photos new of him  :)

This is as good as I can get from above, I couldn't get any side shots because the box is too opaque for him to show up clearly. My back went out this morning and I tried to get as many as I could while bending down to get the pictures, these were the most clear ones. His left eye does still look puffy but not as much as a few days ago, the patch on his back is still there and looks the same as before.

102_9238 (3).JPG

102_9239 (3).JPG

Edited by Fish Of Gold

He is looking a lot better!  The bloated scales on just one area aren't a great sign, as we often see that with blockages or inflamed, swelling organs (like a damaged liver or kidney), but it can be parasites or constipation.  

Have all plants and animals been in this tank the entire 2.5 years?  Have you seen his poop recently, and if so, what is the shape/size and consistency?

8 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

He is looking a lot better!  The bloated scales on just one area aren't a great sign, as we often see that with blockages or inflamed, swelling organs (like a damaged liver or kidney), but it can be parasites or constipation.  

Have all plants and animals been in this tank the entire 2.5 years?  Have you seen his poop recently, and if so, what is the shape/size and consistency?

You got me thinking so I looked back in my blog and seen I first added Dreamsicle to this 40B on 12/13/14 after setting it up as a new tank, they were in a 20 gallon long before that. Yes all of the fish, sand, plants, decorations etc are the same except new filters were added one at a time to replace the bio wheel ones in the beginning of 2016 in Jan or Feb somewhere around there. These used to be a tree-like ornament but I took that out a really long time ago. Dreansicle's poop looks normal, dark colored, not long strings or discolored or anything. There's plenty of poop bits on the bottom when I go to change the water in the QT tank every day so far.

I've been continuing the Epsom salt treatment with daily water changes. It's been a few days since I heard back from anyone on what I'm supposed to do next. He still looks the same as the last update, but better than the 1st day. Will I be needing any meds? If so, I need to order some other things on Amazon today and would like to add any necessary meds to this order because it would be free shipping combined with my other items.

We will be back talking in the back :)

If you have added nothing new as you say, the chances of this being parasitic are very low. Next shot is metronidazole combined with a gram negative medication like kanamycin or oxytetracycline.  Either will do at this point, though the oxy may be more effective (but can be harder to find, I order it off a site called Angels Plus).

My recommendation would be a two week course of both meds together along with the continued Epsom salt.  It may not help if there is underlying organ damage but it's the best shot at this point.

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you have added nothing new as you say, the chances of this being parasitic are very low. Next shot is metronidazole combined with a gram negative medication like kanamycin or oxytetracycline.  Either will do at this point, though the oxy may be more effective (but can be harder to find, I order it off a site called Angels Plus).

My recommendation would be a two week course of both meds together along with the continued Epsom salt.  It may not help if there is underlying organ damage but it's the best shot at this point.

I found this, but it doesn't say for fish. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxytetracycline-Hci-Soluble-MedVet-for-Animals-Bees-Cows-Chickens-exp-03-18-/332094415958?hash=item4d525ea456:g:q3sAAOSw5cNYdDkA and I found medicated fish flakes, should I get this too? http://www.ebay.com/itm/151222230764?var=450261308184

I already have this on hand, http://www.thatpetplace.com/metro-plus-medication-3oz  Or do I need to get the Seachem MetroPlex to use instead of this?

I have Kanaplex, but both tubes are already expired so I have to order more.

8 minutes ago, koko said:

Thanks for the link, I went and checked it out. I can not afford that price however.