Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
teethguy222

Tank light

25 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have an Aqueon 29 gallon bow-front fish tank and the stock light that came with the tank seems to not be working anymore, even after I installed a new tube. I'm interested in getting a new light (LED perhaps?) and would appreciate any suggestions and/or advice on where to look to find suitable lights for my particular tank. If there's a thread that someone knows that has information about lights, I would also appreciate someone tagging it here. =)

Thanks!

There are several threads on the subject you can find using the search feature. The main question would be is it just for viewing or also to grow plants? If it's just viewing there are several nice Simi cheep brands out there that will work nicely. If you want to grow plants they can be a bit more expensive. 

The only LED fixture I've personally used was a Marineland double bright LED and it was nice and looked good, but not the best for plants so I went back to my T5s.

www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125597-best-led-lights-for-goldfish/#comment-2007309

www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110958-led-lights/#comment-1499924

@Daniel E. has offered some good information. The deciding factor will be usage. You need to know what you want to use them for - are they for fish, or plants too?

Just for viewing fish. Only fake plants in there right now. 

I've read that fish don't sunlight... is that really true? Or another question, can sunlight (or the wavelengths that are given through sunlight) affect the colors of goldfish? I have a goldfish that used to be red/orange/white, but has turned completely white. They are about 4 years old. In the same tank, I have another calico looking gold fish, that's about the same age, that's also starting to show less color and more white. Will adding a broad spectrum light affect color?

A lot of pond fish do show deeper color but that's not from the light. From what I understand it's their diet that causes the deepening of color. But the won't stick a fish changing colors. I have pond fish that turn white just like you saying with your guys. It's just the color is not always stable. Black in the most unstable and easiest to loose but red can also especially as a fish gets some age on it. Nothing you can really do to prevent it unfortunately.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, teethguy222 said:

Just for viewing fish. Only fake plants in there right now. 

I've read that fish don't sunlight... is that really true? Or another question, can sunlight (or the wavelengths that are given through sunlight) affect the colors of goldfish? I have a goldfish that used to be red/orange/white, but has turned completely white. They are about 4 years old. In the same tank, I have another calico looking gold fish, that's about the same age, that's also starting to show less color and more white. Will adding a broad spectrum light affect color?

In my experience, not really. The only thing adding a light will do is possibly make colours punchier, but it's a result of the light's colouration and not the light causing the fish to change colours. 

So from earlier, what I gather is that LED lights are OK as long as I'm not expecting to grow plants. Right? And the marineland is one of the more popular ones.

Low light plants will more than likely do on under LEDs but higher light plants might have problems. I personally like the Shimmer effect that some LEDs will produce. Marineland is an affordable good Starter brand for LEDs and if you like them but want more options you could upgrade to a more expensive set later if you want. I personally would love to have one of the sets like they use on a lot of new saltwater setups that has the sunrise and sunset features that work on customizable programs. But right now I don't have that kind of money to put into a light lol

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

On 11/01/2017 at 4:08 PM, teethguy222 said:

So from earlier, what I gather is that LED lights are OK as long as I'm not expecting to grow plants. Right? And the marineland is one of the more popular ones.

Nowadays you can grow pretty much anything under an LED. Most commercial units under $200 will only do so much though. If you only want to light your fish, just get a cheap LED - say $50-$100. If you ever decide to add low light plants, something like that will more than likely keep them going too. 

MY hubby recently was investigating LED lighting & showed me some YouTube examples. He showed me price ranges to purchase them & then showed me examples of people building their own. He felt we could do it quite easily & pretty cheaply too. So he ordered a roll of LED lights & the parts for a fixture. We decided to just use the existing light (actually a 5 foot long shop light). We basically GUTTED the shop light & I cleaned it all up then he stuck in the LED strips.....hooked it all up & placed it on my tank! The lighting is great..............tons a color choices......even the white light enhances the goldies colors!!!  The other lights just look cool! And NONE of the lights seem to bother the fish AT ALL....even when switching the colors....they just swim around unaffected. Another plus is LED lighting is good for the plants!!!  WIN! WIN!

Our investment is around TEN BUCKS!!!!

(Oh! It comes with a cool remote control too!!)

Edited by Jeana727

My hubby told me to mention that he was able to use some of my old stuff but that IF he had gone ALL NEW it still would have only run about $25-$30!!!

That's really cool :D the DIY way is often so much cheaper. 

That is cool.. That give me the idea to do this. TD has those lights already. and We have them wrapped on a wall painting.... :) 

Some people cut a length of pvc pipe & wrapped the lighting strip around that THEN put it in an old light fixture (like I did...tho I just attached mine right onto the fixture) OR used plastic gutter from Home Depot! Either way it is REALLY cheap & easy to make!!!

Edited by Jeana727
needed a change

On 18/02/2017 at 5:35 AM, Jeana727 said:

Some people cut a length of pvc pipe & wrapped the lighting strip around that THEN put it in an old light fixture (like I did...tho I just attached mine right onto the fixture) OR used plastic gutter from Home Depot! Either way it is REALLY cheap & easy to make!!!

I'm going to wrap mine around my old lights for now, at least temporarily until I can get to the hardware store and buy some pvc and gutter lol. 

We also ran some "outlining" the back edge of our TV. IT looks neat at night when you turn them on while watching TV or a movie on the Flat Screen TV.  I like the blue one best at night!

Just FYI: Blue lights make it harder for one to fall asleep. Not recommended for night use.

This DIY video is awesome, and I think I will do this when I'm ready!

hey, I know Im late to the party but I went ahead and got one of those -Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium-.   I just copy and pasted that item designation off internets..  I learned of these lights from Jenny from solids golds discus tank video..  

its pretty good but not suitable for planted tanks from what I hear.  Now, these light have a few nice features.. it has a 6500k White LED's and 445Nm Blue LED's and a controller to combine the lights to create different effects.  The 445 nanometer blues are especially nifty as they're its a specialty type of blue light for aquarium lighting..  The controller has several modes but I like the simulated cloud cover mode..  it also has a lighting mode which is mainly blue and has simulated lighting strike effects but that scares my fish.

Also, I dont like using the blue leds alone because they emit a kinda high pitched electronic sound.. the fish dont seem to like that either..  

Overall quality is OK but they are pretty cheaply made lights.  I can see some water ingress on the clear plastic led cover but it hasn't caused any failure yet.. after uhh about 4 months use?.

the only other issue I can think with this light for your tank is that dont make it in the exact size for 29 gallon.  but theres a mini review of the lower priced current USA lights for ya..      

Edited by Goldfishbeginner

Thanks for sharing!!!

I'm an electrical engineer so I built my own computer. Wanted to spice up my computer, so I bought some LED lights. You can buy magnetic computer LED lights for 20 dollars or less with remote control similar to the DIY on amazon or ebay. https://www.amazon.ca/RoLightic-Computer-Waterproof-Background-Connector/dp/B01KK56H3I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500944275&sr=8-3&keywords=computer+led+lights

You can use some magnetic tape on you're original LED light bar and the LED's will stick to them easily. Just a FYI, LED's are dirt cheap you can buy like a strip of them for 10 bucks.

14 hours ago, georgelee92 said:

I'm an electrical engineer so I built my own computer

I would love to see a photo of that. I love seeing home made computers, some are just insane :o 

1 hour ago, koko said:

some are just insane :o 

Like some people!!!!  :teehee

Incredible!!!!!