Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

New 10 with a betta

Hey y'all! Been awhile but I had a question I couldn't find an answer to. First off want to update on the Goldies. Ru, Hiro, and ChuChu are doing fabulous! I've recently added a lot more Java fern and even split my anubias into two plants! All is going great! But my question pertains to my new betta tank I set up today (seeded from the goldfish filter media), I found a t-8 fixture for real inexpensive at Walmart and bought it. I got a GE 9265k 15w freshwater/saltwater t-8 bulb and I was wondering if it would grow my low light plants? Or if it's too much? I know t-5 are better from research I've done but I already have this t-8 bulb/ballast. Any suggestions/tips would be awesome! Thanks! (Wasn't sure if I should post here or in betta forum so I came here since it was pertaining to lights). Hope everyone is doing great in the new year!

-chris

Here is my new boy! He spoke to me at petco, didn't go in expecting to buy, you know how it goes. Apparently they had their betta shelf too close to the door and it has been cold here for Texas (freezing) and all their bettas were dying or dead and this beautiful boy saw me and started swimming in circles and flaring for me and I almost cried. Wife gave me the OK and now he's happy in his 10gallon forever home. No name yet but we're thinking on it. Of course the picture of the tank is his home ? 

IMG_3523.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

Edited by GoldnTexas

wow very handsome and nice tank :)

Lovely fish & great set up for him! I don't know much about those lights - but in my experience, Java fern & anubias can grow with about any light. I have low power marineland LEDs on all my tanks. And oddly enough, I picked up another betta from Petco this week, & set up a new 10 gal. tank for him... I only went in to buy stuff for our cat, but somehow this fish followed me home. :)

He is amazing! Look at this guy!!! I've found out he is a copper (not sure if halfmoon or delta or double tail though, his fin has a split but not sure if it's a tear or not as he came with it). I'm so googly over this fish!

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3572.PNG

IMG_3573.PNG

Dang! That is a beautiful betta, congratulations. Really nice photos as well. :)

From really digging about, I found out the bulb I have is actually one of the better t8's for plants too, took me reading up about the light spectrum. Didn't understand half of what I read but did find a thread about t8's hidden deep in google and my bulb was mentioned and even put up against other bulbs and proven to perform better than more expensive lights! So I'm pretty happy about it and I'm actually thinking about getting some for the goldfish too, they blow my LED's out of the water! I need a better fixture for the t8 but this one was only $7 and I was on very tight budget. I've just put a piece of foil shiny side down to reflect some of that light back down into the tank until I can find a true hood for it.

IMG_3549.JPG

Beautiful Betta and tank!!!

It doesn't look like it illuminates very well, but yes, with a 15w bulb over a 10 gallon, you should be able grow anubias or java fern. Stick them directly in the middle where they will have the most access to light. :)

Your New Betta is amazing :) Love your tank set ups too :)