Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ChrissieA

Red pimple - bacterial infection?

I have 2 fish in quarantine. They were from the same tank at the fish store and I've had them 2 days. This morning I noticed my white ranchu has a pimple.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) o.25 (just dosed prime again)

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) between 0 and 0.25

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) about 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) about 7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api master test kit

* Water temperature? Currently 24

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Quarantine tote, currently around 100L (very roughly) although will adjust water volume for treatment

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? They've been in 2 days, havnt done a water change yet because of volume but will do one tomorrow and measure volume to treat

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? As above

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2. 1 black moor about an inch sl, 1 white ranchu about 1.5 inches sl

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Fed for the first time yesterday, aquatopia goldfish flakes

* Any new fish added to the tank? I've had both for 2 days

* Any medications added to the tank? None

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing yet

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red pimple near gill opening. Mostly red with white centre. It appears raised. Otherwise fine.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

Both fish are active and eating well, generally look pretty good.

I've just moved here and the local aquarium store has said the water isn't great. I started a thread in water quality. There's small amounts of ammonia and possibly phosphates. The water is apparently brackish. I'm going to find out the salt concentration tomorrow as Sharon has said they (and their bacteria) may be adapted to salt making salt treatment less effective.

image_zpswvb6iw8e.jpeg

image_zpsqfc62fry.jpeg

image_zpsh5tczv1s.jpeg

image_zpsysykekdx.jpeg

What should I do?

Edited by ChrissieA

Hmm the photos aren't great she won't stay still and it's not great lighting at this time. Does the first one look like she's pineconing? I can't see that just looking at her

i think this fish may be pineconing too :(

is it possible to take it back to the store for a new fish or refund? it's really difficult to keep a fish healthy once it's pineconded, ie, there will always be relapses and taxing meds/wc routines in QT... as well as a certain reduced lifespan.

it isn't uncommon for a wenned fish to sport a pimple every now and again, especially with a small pool of blood around it as your fish displays.. however, the fact that the beginnings of pineconing is apparent, i am almost certain there is something more funky going on with this one. how is it's tank mate?

*sigh* I don't think I'd take her back , they'd probably either kill her or sell her to someone else :/ but I might go let them know what's happened.

The moor seems fine but I'll pull him out and have a closer look tomorrow to be sure.

I've played the pinecone game twice before when one of my last tanks went wonky, won one lost one. I'll try with her and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I'll euth.

Should I separate them? They were in the same tank at the store

Yes, I see the pineconing and also think the fish looks thin.  Since you want to treat, you need to put the sick fish in its own container, since you don't want to medicate the other fish.  Please tell us how you intend to treat in case some recommended procedures  or medication availability have changed since you did it last.

I've never had ranchu, but I know breeders use very shallow water with these fish.  I assume they do this because the lack of a dorsal fin affects balance and in very shallow water a fish finds it easier to stay upright.  

Ok. I'll separate them.

Checking my old threads I did I tsp Epsom per 10 gallons. Medication wise I'll need instruction, I couldn't get anything in the netherlands and had to water dose baytril.

With Frank I was recommended "metronidazole AND triple sulfa OR oxytetracycline". Can I get these in sydney?

How should I proceed?

Thanks Sharon

Ok looking at them in the tote this morning the ranchus red spot appears a bit better. I can't see the pineconing in the tote because it's white, and well, I can barely see her!

However the moor seems a bit square in the back end. I m rushed for time before work but I quickly looked at him in a glass bowl and it's possible I see pineconing there too.

I have to duck into work for an hr or so this morning but on my way home I'm going to go back to the shop and see what they say. One fish may be 'luck of the draw', two from the same tank is a problem.

When I get home I'll take some pics and get a better view.

The shop were all but useless. Their 'goldfish expert' was lovely but very nicely basically said yep I can see, we won't take them back, I don't have anything to help you.

I couldn't get great shots but here's today. The pimple looks much better

image_zpsnq5sksld.jpeg

image_zpsjkfx4szq.jpeg

Here's the moor, I may have been wrong about the pineconing, hard to tell. Does one side of the backend look weird to you guys? I'm second guessing myself this afternoon.

image_zpsclmqypac.jpeg

image_zpsawmkhafj.jpeg

image_zpsvzncj4i3.jpeg

image_zpsdpjpwh3t.jpeg

Im no expert, but my telescope has a really boxy rear end too, and she's totally fine. Wouldn't win any shows or anything but she isn't ill. I figure she will snooth out as she bulks up.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just don't think he was that way when I got him home, and it seems to have developed on one side...

Can someone please advise me on the meds as I have to order them and they'll take a while to come.

Thanks

Yeah, I just don't think he was that way when I got him home, and it seems to have developed on one side...

Can someone please advise me on the meds as I have to order them and they'll take a while to come.

Thanks

Hi, When I treat for Dropsy I use Metronidazole, Tri-Sulfa and Oxytetracycline along with Epsom Salt.

This is the Oxytetracycline I use http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/OXYMB#.WG7dcht97IU

This is the Tri-Sulfa http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/blue_planet_tri_sulfa_tablets#.WG7duxt97IU

Metro is harder to get in Aus, but Helen might be able to get you some if you contact her.

You can also order it from here: https://www.vitamingrocer.com.au/MetroPlex-5-Grams-p/307832.htm

It normally takes a few weeks to come though, because it comes from overseas, but I've had no problems with importing anything from that site, thankfully!

The Moor looks good to me in the photos, but I do see the slight pineconing in the Ranchu

Edited by FishyMandy

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

How are we doing?