Sign in to follow this  
ChrissieA

Poor water

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, ive been mia for a while as i moved back to australia. Unfortunately that meant giving up my beautiful big tank, but thankfully i found someone with alot of other goldfish ponda and tanks who had room for a huge set up so im confident my water babies are being looked after.

Back in sydney and im at it again :)

The local aquarium shops have all said the water here isnt great. Apparently quite brackish, with ammonia and sometimes phosphates. Small amounts of ammonia definitely show up on the api test kit, somewhere between 'no ammonia' and the second option. I have prime but this is the first time ive used it, i believe i double dose all new water to deal with the ammonia, is this correct?

As far as being brackish and possibly having phosphates, is this an issue for goldies and if so, what do i do about it?

Also, im going to start a d&d thread tonight as ive just noticed my white ranchu has a raised red spot near her gill. Im grabbing salt today. Does brackish water affect how i dose the salt?

Welcome back Chrissie!!!!

You don't need to double dose Prime unless the ammonia exceeds 1 ppm.  Just make sure you add it every two days.

Please find out the salt concentration in the water.  "Brackish" covers a wide range of salt concentration.  Both fish and their parasites become accustomed to the salt, so it loses much of its medicinal value.  You can reduce the salt concentration with RO water.

Incorporate phytofiltration into your system.  You can add a refugium to your filtration system or build an aquaponics system.  Lots of people in Australia do aquaponics at every level from aquarium setups to commercial farming.

Thank you Dawn. Your new profile pic is gorgeous btw :)

Thanks Sharon, I'll try and find the salt concentration tomorrow. Is it worth and/or safe adding an extra 0.1% salt tonight before I find the concentration?

Would making your pond style filter (again!) with plants be enough?

A pond filter with a large surface area for planting should do a lot to improve the water.  If you don't want to provide extra light for the plants select "low light" house plants.  

I also recommend frequent small water changes when you have bad tap water.  A 10% daily water change substitutes favorably for a 50% weekly change.  If your tap ammonia reads 0.25 ppm before a 10% water change the tank will go up to 0.025 ppm (too low to detect) immediately after the change and your filter nitrifiers will drop it to zero almost immediately.

Phosphates don't harm fish, but they really make plants and algae grow.  Plants like to eat these along with nitrates.

Thank you Dawn. Your new profile pic is gorgeous btw :)

Thanks Sharon, I'll try and find the salt concentration tomorrow. Is it worth and/or safe adding an extra 0.1% salt tonight before I find the concentration?

Would making your pond style filter (again!) with plants be enough?

Hi Chrissie!!! Thank you so much for the compliment!!!   :hug

Adding some salt shouldn't do any harm.  I don't think it will do any good either.