herefishyfishy

Sand or Gravel?

18 posts in this topic

Hello!

In my opinion: if you want to go with one of it (like no bare bottom) than go with sand, when I first started I had gravel and it's too risky, specially if the gravel are small, the fish can get shocked. Once I found my fish almost dying, if I don't walk inside my apartment and look at the tank, would've been dead! So I would choose Sand!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely sand out of the two. Is a lot easier to keep clean than gravel and no risk of fish choking on it.

i wasn't happy with either, so i do not have substrate in my tank(s) anymore. i have plants fused to driftwood and the fish seem happy with it too.

I have used a thin layer of sand, gravel, river rock, and bare bottom. Gravel and river rock are an absolute no. Between sand and bare bottom I would say the bare bottom does accumulate a little less debris buy the sand adds a nice touch.

I use some large river rocks that my son brought to me years ago....plus a smattering of small to medium rocks (all much larger than gravel) across the bottom. I had bare bottom for awhile but just didn't like it, plus the rocks give the fish something to "mess with...push around or whatever.

As the others have said: sand. Avoid finer powdery sands though, they can be a nuisance (repeatedly cloud water, sucked into filters, etc). Most lfs sands should be good, as are pool filter sands.

Yep, definitely sand would be the smarter way to go. I have had my fair share of fishies choking on gravel pebbles  :wacko:

I've used play sand.

15 hours ago, Ladysabertooth said:

hey folks just curious can it be very clean play sand?

I got some play sand for my kid and it said it was clean. That was a joke. if you do use it I would rinse it well :) 

Ok I will if I use it. Right now I'm bare bottom. Oh I hear mixed views but how about reef salt? I normally have 160 gallons worth I use for reef tanks. Or I will just get aquarium salt

1 hour ago, Ladysabertooth said:

Ok I will if I use it. Right now I'm bare bottom. Oh I hear mixed views but how about reef salt? I normally have 160 gallons worth I use for reef tanks. Or I will just get aquarium salt

You better go put some pant's on!!!!  :teehee

31 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

You better go put some pant's on!!!!  :teehee

Shush you... it to hot for pants.   

Just now, Ladysabertooth said:

:teehee

On 7/14/2017 at 0:13 PM, Ladysabertooth said:

:thumbup2:

Ok listen both I've had problems with. My first tank was a ten gallon and I got gravel food got in the gravel and I was not aware that gravel could cut thankgod it didn't happen to me. But I hated it my OCD made me want to blow up the tank because the ravel wasn't clean (ps I didn't have a siphon then) I seriously don't recommend sand don't get it please it clouded my water I tried everything two sponge filter barely did anything accu-clear was a pain even thought it worked I had to use it as much as I could in the safest way then one day I just got tired of it and I took out all the sand it took me from 8:00 at night Til 4:00 am just be careful what u use good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opps sorry didn't realize how old this post was before I posted.

Edited by Hidr