Kokos Goldfish Forum
MadisonLH

How many in temporary tank?

As mentioned in my intro thread, I currently have 2 baby fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon until April, when I'll be able to move them to a permanent tank.  Ideally I'd like a 75 gallon with 4-5 fancies.  My question now is, should I just stick with the 2 I have and get more when I set up the big tank, or would it be ok to get another one or two babies to hold in the 10 gallon until April?  The ones I have currently are each 1.5" long.

A 75 gallon should hold a maximum of 3 to 4 fish, preferably 3.   Stick with what you have.  After you have the 75 up and running you can add another fish or two, preferably one at a time.

Agreed. What if the 75 doesn't actually happen? Then you have 3-4 fish in a 10 gallon . . .

Agree with the rest.

Well, I ended up buying a 20 long at Petsmart yesterday because I figured that if 2 were ok temporarily in a 10, then 4 would be ok temporarily in a 20.  I have a liquid test kit and I'm keeping a close eye on water parameters.  

It's probably better that you just keep the two fish in the 20 long temporarily. Honestly April is kinda far away and some fish can grow a lot in that time period. I don't advise trying to keep 4 fish in a 20 gallon for any length of time. Even a 30 day quarantine of 4 fish needs more than 20 gallons.

I second MJ. Generally during a qt, we would only put one fish in a 10g.

BUT if you're dead set on 4 in the 20L, as long as you keep on top of the waterchanges and choose small fish, im sure it's doable. Just keep in mind that's only 5g per fish.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I keep my two ranchu babies who started out the same size in a 30gal, and that's barely good enough for them, with a lot of wc's. When I started with them, I had to keep them in a 10gal, and I was doing daily water changes of about 75%. If you actually bought more fish, please just upgrade your tank now, buy an additional 10 or 20g, or take the fish back. :( I'm not trying to sound mean, but unless you are going to do wc's literally every single day, and not feed very much (like every other day) which wouldn't be good for the babies' growth, then it's not a good idea.

We are here to help, and I hope you don't take this advice the wrong way. Good job with the test kit!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by Anorea

Like others have mentioned, it is best to get the tank first, then get the fishes. Fish can wait, there are plenty of fish, but not enough housing in an suitable home.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It sounds like you've already got them? If so, I'd keep an eye on params and perform regular water changes (probably multiple a week). Do you still have the 10 gallon? If so I'd pop 1 fish in there to distribute the load.

Yes, I do already have the 4.  I'm testing their water daily and will do water changes as often as necessary.  They're all very small still - the 2 smallest are smaller than my betta, and the other 2 are a little smaller than a ping pong ball.