lllyrain

Did my cycle crash?

8 posts in this topic

I'm totally baffled. Yesterday I checked my parameters after doing a 90% water change. Ammonia .15, Nitrites .25, Nitrate .25. I then went out and bought some API leaf zone and put some in for my plants. This evening it read Ammonia 0.15, 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate. That's not normal, correct? I'm supposed to have some Nitrates. Last week my ammonia level was the same and my nitrite was 2.0ppm and Nitrate 20ppm. My fish are doing fine and now I'm wondering if the fertilizer did something to the tank.

Kinda looks like it hun.

I would do some smaller water changes and see if that will help.. Unless its in your tap water. Have you tested your tap water lately?

What test kit are you using?

I'm totally baffled. Yesterday I checked my parameters after doing a 90% water change. Ammonia .15, Nitrites .25, Nitrate .25. I then went out and bought some API leaf zone and put some in for my plants. This evening it read Ammonia 0.15, 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate. That's not normal, correct? I'm supposed to have some Nitrates. Last week my ammonia level was the same and my nitrite was 2.0ppm and Nitrate 20ppm. My fish are doing fine and now I'm wondering if the fertilizer did something to the tank.

What are you using to test?  I don't think the tests are accurate.  I haven't seen a test that measures as little as 0.25 nitrate.

If after a 90% water change you had 0.15 ppm ammonia, 0.25 ppm nitrite, and 0.25 ppm nitrate, before the water change you had 1.5 ppm ammonia, 2.5 ppm nitrite and 2.5 ppm nitrate (assuming your tap water doesn't contain any of these chemicals).  These ammonia and nitrite readings are toxic and indicate that your tank has not completed cycling.  A cycled tank has 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite all of the time.

Please provide some more information about your tank.

Please give the parameters for your tap water.

Tank volume in gallons?

Number of fish, varieties, and their size? Give size as weight in grams or standard length (not including tail).

What filter do you have?

Do you have a substrate?  If so, what kind and how deep?

How often do you regularly change your water and how much do you normally change?

What kind of plants do you have and how many? (A picture helps a lot.)

What water conditioner do you use?

Leaf zone contains iron and potassium.  If your water lacked these minerals, supplying them could certainly have increased the uptake of nitrate by plants.  However I have much more concern about the accuracy of your readings.  Tests do go bad with time.

I used API master test kit. I just bought this set last month and it doesn't expire until 2020. They're in a 20 gallon 2 small goldfish under 2 inches. Sorry I don't weigh my fish. One Fantail, 1 blackmoore. Aquaflow 50, no substrate. Plants in clay pots, with some large pebble substrate holding them down. some in plastic bottles. 1 java fern 1 annubius coffee, 1 annubius nana, 1 Amazon sword, 1 wisteria fern, 5 mosss balls. I do a water change 2x a week, usually 50% but this time I did 90% because I got carried away vacuuming poop with the siphon. Water conditioner Kordon AquaNova. They're being moved to my 60 next week. I just got a API filstar for that tank. My other filters were too noisy that's why they were in the 20. I wish I could take a picture to show you the tank but I can't figure out how to do it here.

Tap water is 7.0, Ph in the tank was 7.4 the other day. That's why I'm thinking it may have been the fertilizer. If not, it's a strange coincidence

I used API master test kit. I just bought this set last month and it doesn't expire until 2020. You can read 0, 5, 10-20, 40-80, and 160 for nitrate.  You cannot read 0.25.  You also cannot read 0.15 ammonia. Please repeat these tests and report what you get.  If the reading appears to be between 2 and 3, for example, report as 2 -3.  When doing the nitrate test, be sure to shake the bottle and tube for the full 30 seconds/1 minute.

They're in a 20 gallon 2 small goldfish under 2 inches. Sorry I don't weigh my fish. One Fantail, 1 blackmoore.

Aquaflow 50, no substrate.

Plants in clay pots, with some large pebble substrate holding them down. some in plastic bottles.

1 java fern 1 annubius coffee, 1 annubius nana, 1 Amazon sword, 1 wisteria fern, 5 mosss balls.

I do a water change 2x a week, usually 50% but this time I did 90% because I got carried away vacuuming poop with the siphon.

Water conditioner Kordon AquaNova. Please switch to Seachem Prime, which will protect your fish from ammonia and nitrite.

They're being moved to my 60 next week. I just got a API filstar for that tank. My other filters were too noisy that's why they were in the 20.  Since your current tank has not completed cycling, I wouldn't be in any hurry to move the fish.  Keeping ammonia and nitrite under control with water changes is easier in a smaller tank.  When your 20 gallon reads 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite every time you test it, you can move the current filter and the fish to the larger tank. Run the new filter in the tank as well.  Over the course of 2-3 weeks, nitrifiers from the old filter will seed the new one.

I wish I could take a picture to show you the tank but I can't figure out how to do it here.  You have to upload your pictures to a host like Photobucket and then copy the pictures from there and paste them into your post.

By far the easiest way to upload pictures is to use the Tapatalk app and view this forum on there. I no longer use Photobucket.