Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Queens4Fish

Amidala Buoyancy/Swimbladder? Please Help

OK don't shoot... :teehee I'm no connoisseur but a breeder I most recently visited said something like that and had a 15 year old in there somewhere, he did stress 'under the right conditions' and it's pretty much all over the internet they they can live upto 15 years old give or take  a few years ( granted 15 and 25 is a big difference!).. .so yeah...I figure it must be a huge difference between potential life span and what is achievable in the average person's tank without designer air/soil/ food/ Ryu hotel/Show fish standards  :idont  

I'm not scolding you.  At least 90% of what you read about goldfish on the internet is simply copied from whatever someone else said, which in turn was copied from what someone else said ad infinitum.  Of course they also make errors along the chain, and those get repeated.  However your link may be the worst I have ever seen.  :)  

It probably sets a new record for falsehoods.  In the comments about the comet and shubunkin I counted 10 incorrect statements (not just minor mistakes, but mostly whoppers) and four sentences that told the truth.  

Then look at ryukins.  "Ryukins have a short, egg shaped body, like a Fantail (Not true. They have a much deeper and wider body than any fancy other than pearlscales) but they have a high humped back. Ryukins can grow to be up to 6 inches long, and 1 1/2 inches deep. (In their first year maybe. Look at the picture.  If that fish has a body 6" long, it has a height of 6 inches or more.  Ryukins often win the "largest goldfish" award with weights of 3 pounds.)   The Ryukin loves to explore, so you should have a few plants(plastic or real) in your tank. Ryukins can live up to be 15 years old. (Give an example.) It's colours are calico, red and white, white, and orange. (and more)

Tempature: 70*F.-80*F. (If that means temperature, 50F-90 F)

p.H.: 7.0-8.0"  (7.0 to 9.0)

IM so sorry for your loss. RIP Amidala.

Sorry for your loss. Amidala was beautiful. May she swim in peace.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for the necrospy information. Very interesting.

As for the bad internet info... well... you could say that humans can live up to 122yo... but most of us won't make it that far. Lol. But it is still true...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/oldest-person

OK don't shoot... :teehee I'm no connoisseur but a breeder I most recently visited said something like that and had a 15 year old in there somewhere, he did stress 'under the right conditions' and it's pretty much all over the internet they they can live upto 15 years old give or take  a few years ( granted 15 and 25 is a big difference!).. .so yeah...I figure it must be a huge difference between potential life span and what is achievable in the average person's tank without designer air/soil/ food/ Ryu hotel/Show fish standards  :idont  

I'm not scolding you.  At least 90% of what you read about goldfish on the internet is simply copied from whatever someone else said, which in turn was copied from what someone else said ad infinitum.  Of course they also make errors along the chain, and those get repeated.  However your link may be the worst I have ever seen.   :)

Yeah, I know, I  was just trying to say that the information wasn't from me but from various sources online and in person, the link I provided was just to give you an idea of what is out there, since you strike me an an 'empirical evidence preferred' lady! But basically as mentioned before  any google search will come up with at least 3 or 4 pages with the same info regarding goldfish age/life expectancy. It's nice to hear people telling it like it is here, it's a much better/ reliable source coming from fish owners... still I'd like my next one to stick around longer and I'm hoping a more reputable breeder will at least help enhance the likelihood.

Thanks for all the condolences y'all. :bye2: 

Be back when I get my newbies..  :D 

x