Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lllyrain

Aggressive Fantail

My Fantail has becoming aggressive towards my Blackmoore during feeding time and it's bugging me. Right now they're both in a 20gallon. I'm waiting on my cannister filter to arrive then I'm moving them into my 60 gallon. In the interim, my Fantail is a pig. She will grab all the food and hold it in her mouth like a chipmunk and while her mouth is full she'll chase my blackmoore away so he can't get any food. I've been hand feeding him repashy so he gets some but I'm getting so annoyed. Aside from separating them, any advice?

Try spreading the food more throughout the tank so that he has more of a chance to find it before she finds it all. Otherwise separating them at feeding time might be your best bet. You might find the problem eases when they get into the bigger space too

Some goldfish will do that during feeding times. I know it is a pain to watch, but at least it's not all the time. And like mentioned, drop the food all over. I drop mines right where the HOB filter water is coming out, so then it spread the food a bit.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

LOL. I do drop it in different places and I even drop in in front of my blackmoores face and he still misses it he totally needs glasses. LOL. Aside from feeding time they're best buddies

My red/white Ranchu was blind like that also, but I found out that she wasn't that blind. She just didn't really go for the Hikari Lionhead pellets that I was feeding them. She went for the Omega One goldfish pellets.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sounds silly, but maybe try feeding something stinkier so he can sniff it out more easily? 

If you can get any kind of Repashy gel food, that stuff stinks, and fish love it haha

I had this problem. Can you handfeed the blind fish, or is it afraid of you? Honestly sometimes I would spread the food out, and if my aggressive fish just followed the other one around despite there being plenty of food for everyone everywhere (which she did), I'd shoo her away. Sometimes I tapped her, gently, but you might not be comfortable with doing that. So long as you scrub up with vinegar or castile soap, it shouldn't be a problem to put your hands in the water.

More space should help with this problem, I would imagine. As my aggressive fish grew bolder, she also became territorial during non-feeding times.