Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chaory

Is it true?

I was watching some YouTube goldfish videos last night and came across a guy who said that some goldfish only lives a few years and not your normal 10+ years. Since some pet shops import goldfish from China, that is from a mill or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The more muted a goldfish is from their original form, the shorter life it will likely have, all other things being equal. Of course there are also other factors that will determine length of life, such as genetics, water quality, parasites, infections, the skill with which a person can treat a sick fish, etc etc.

You won't find many ten year old goldfish of any variety, and you will find even fewer fancy goldfish that reach that age.

"Normal" lifespans vary so much. My mother has a 13 year old single tail and some cousins of mine had a weird looking singletail with a wen that lasted nearly 20 years. Even then a fish can die of "old age" at just a couple of years old.

Most of my fish have died at around 5-7 years old. My oldest I had for 8.5 years.

I just adopted two that are 7 and 10 years old.

There is a lot of places that say goldfish can and should live to 10-20 years, but I don't see it happen very often, even with the perfect care

Most of my fish have died at around 5-7 years old. My oldest I had for 8.5 years.

I just adopted two that are 7 and 10 years old.

There is a lot of places that say goldfish can and should live to 10-20 years, but I don't see it happen very often, even with the perfect care

I agree.

My oldest one I had was Pharoh that lived to be 9 :)