Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chaory

Just an opinion

Is it just me or do anyone else agree with me? I've been searching for ranchus for the past month and I already gotten two from Coast Gem Usa. Other than CGU, I also looked at !!!, Dandy Orandas, and East Coast Ranchus.

!!! and Dan Orandas was on the expensive side. While ECR didn't have none I like. Either their wen grow wasn't to my liking, body coloration, or they are too fat. Meaning huge bellies and not attracted and nice build bodies.

I heard good things about ECR, but I don't know if I'll ever order from them, because of this. I don't know if they breed their own stock and over feed their fishes. But if you compare their ranchus stock with CGU, you'll see what I mean.

Or maybe it's just my opinion and what I look for in a ranchu.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Don't know why those explanation points is showing up.

Well I love Chubby Ranchu's personally and I would order from ERC if I had a tank for goldfish :)

I love the deep bodied look of her fish, too. ECR is also US based, making them more sustainable for a us buyer, vs coast gems imports. That's always another thing to consider. :)

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

What is '!!!'?

I love the deep bodied look of her fish, too. ECR is also US based, making them more sustainable for a us buyer, vs coast gems imports. That's always another thing to consider. :)

What is '!!!'?

Its a censored word from years ago :o

I see, so they do breed their own stock. So maybe that's why they look different from the Thai, Japanese, and Chinese breeds.

I think dorsal less breeds look odd, but I do like Orandas nowadays, which ECR has as well. I have a mushy thing I got from a breeder. I lubbbb him. I don't like overgrown mush (wen), though. His is nice and balanced. I coughed up $40 for him so you bet I loved him when I saw him. I've paid more than that for a fish before, which I killed by accident :(

I've looked at some of the ECR live stream, as even though I have no interest in ECR fish, if you watch enough fish videos on YouTube, it somehow ends up in your recommended. I saw a few fairly nice Orandas, though none that I'd buy.

I don't think I'll ever have a fish shipped. Its probably the only way for me to get a decent sized fish that doesn't have a giant tumor on her head, but I'm content with my wee ones. Dandy Orandas is way too expensive!

Tastes differ.  The fish that win at shows look extreme and unbalanced to me.   In my observation, market demand seems to follow the form of the show winners, so breeders select for more extreme fish.  I notice this in Ryukin, esp.  I prefer a modified hump, and a graceful circular impression, with a *nose* (proper term?) that faces straight forward, and is not tilted up. I don't care for the shape of the bottom heavy fish with the stacked top that appears to be taller than long, and can barely swim.  When they are just right, to my eye, they are striking, and I'll take a pretty one that isn't even quite there, over a show winner any day.  My taste, certainly not the judges'!

To each his own. 

Maybe contact a breeder and describe what you specifically want?  There may be some culls available that would fit.

Edited by Distaff

The Ryukin is my favorite type of goldfish, but I absolutely agree that the way too deep fish with humps way too extreme to where the fishes face looks sunken in isn't what I like at all. Extreme goldfish aren't my type either. Giant wen, giant hump, giant bubbles etc. Too much.

DSCN2532_zpsamflms7i.jpg

This was the winner at the show I went to. I've got to say, what a stunner she was. Very strong swimmer. Bright and healthy and friendly. There's a bit more mush on her head than I like, but she's really quite well in balance. I definitely don't think she's too extreme, though many show winners are.

That winner is a beauty.  Cute too.

I also don't like Ryukins with a super tall back.