yogosans14

Will Fancy Goldfish get to big for a 55 gallon tank since it's only 12 inches wide

21 posts in this topic

Or would they be fine in one for life? Petco 1$ per gallon sale is coming up and I'm in the need of a new tank!

Well since you need 20 gallons per fish.. It would be fine.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

I have had 2 fish in that size tank with no problems :)

I recommend a 40B over the 55 for fancy goldfish.  Since they have little body flexibility when they get large, fancy goldfish may have to put effort into those turns in  a narrow tank like a 55.   Long bodied goldfish have no problem at all.  Goldfish get lazier with age, so if swimming laps in the tank takes effort, why not just sit around?  Exercise is as important to fish as to us.

Fancies do best in shallow water and the 40B isn't as tall as the 55.  The 40B actually holds more than 40 gallons, and the 55 holds less than 55 gallons so the volume difference is less than 15 gallons.  Either tank should have a max of two fancies.  

I recommend a 40B over the 55 for fancy goldfish. Since they have little body flexibility when they get large, fancy goldfish may have to put effort into those turns in a narrow tank like a 55. Long bodied goldfish have no problem at all. Goldfish get lazier with age, so if swimming laps in the tank takes effort, why not just sit around? Exercise is as important to fish as to us.

Fancies do best in shallow water and the 40B isn't as tall as the 55. The 40B actually holds more than 40 gallons, and the 55 holds less than 55 gallons so the volume difference is less than 15 gallons. Either tank should have a max of two fancies.

Ok :) but I think a 55 can do 3 fancies it's my opinion don't get mad.

I recommend a 40B over the 55 for fancy goldfish. Since they have little body flexibility when they get large, fancy goldfish may have to put effort into those turns in a narrow tank like a 55. Long bodied goldfish have no problem at all. Goldfish get lazier with age, so if swimming laps in the tank takes effort, why not just sit around? Exercise is as important to fish as to us.

Fancies do best in shallow water and the 40B isn't as tall as the 55. The 40B actually holds more than 40 gallons, and the 55 holds less than 55 gallons so the volume difference is less than 15 gallons. Either tank should have a max of two fancies.

Well I can say this after years of raising goldfish.

The more space you give the fish the better off the fish will be and you. Goldfish are well not the cleanest fish out there and I would rather have more space for growing and waste. If you go three you will be pushing the limit. Doing that you will have to do more water changes and if you have an issue with the tank it could be a problem.

Just my two cents. Of course you can do 3 but I think it would be more work for you :(

When is that $1 per gallon going to start? A 50 gallon would be another option.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I am getting the 60 gallon marine land tank from Petsmart today for only 159$ my Goldie's are gonna love it :)

When is that $1 per gallon going to start? A 50 gallon would be another option.

It starts on December 26 but this deal Petsmart is to good to pass up comes with LED lights and stand

I don't know about Petco, but I know Petsmart prices are high. I can get a complete 75 gallon setup with stand at one of my lfs for around $175.

So I usually go there. New 29 gallon for about $32, compared to about $50 at another lfs.

Yogosans,  get what you like, but the 60 gallon tank has the same surface area as the 55 gallon, which has a little less surface area than the 40B.  Surface area is probably the most important characteristic of a goldfish tank.  The second is height.  The shallower the better as long as the water covers the fish.  The 60 is 5 inches taller than the 55, which is 4 inches taller than the 40B.   For two to three fish, of these three I would use a 40B over the 55 and the 55 over the 60.

Yes, we recommend 20 gallons per fish for simplicity, but you can keep more fish in a shallow 20 gallon tub than in a 20 long, and fewer in the standard (tall) 20 gallon.

Nobody will get mad.  Of course you can put 3 goldfish in a 55, but you have to increase your water changes over what we recommend.  I wouldn't put ANY fancies in a 55, because they do better in a tank that allows easy turns for a fish that doesn't bend, but you could certainly do 3 comets.

Nobody will get mad. Of course you can put 3 goldfish in a 55, but you have to increase your water changes over what we recommend. I wouldn't put ANY fancies in a 55, because they do better in a tank that allows easy turns for a fish that doesn't bend, but you could certainly do 3 comets.

Well the main selling point of the 60 gallon to me is the LED lights. Is there any cheap LED lights for a 40B?

I changed my mind I'm getting the 40B instead!

Thanks guys :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . the 40B is my absolute favorite tank!  :rofl

Love the dimensions . . .  :D

I personally don't have any scientific reasoning for this but I don't see what advantage a small amount of surface area is as long as the surface receives good agitation from the filter returns. Are aquariums known for low levels of dissolved oxygen or something?

Congrats on the new tank purchase. I have a 40b that has served me well.

Nobody will get mad. Of course you can put 3 goldfish in a 55, but you have to increase your water changes over what we recommend. I wouldn't put ANY fancies in a 55, because they do better in a tank that allows easy turns for a fish that doesn't bend, but you could certainly do 3 comets.

Well the main selling point of the 60 gallon to me is the LED lights. Is there any cheap LED lights for a 40B?

Re. LED, check the recent YouTube by the KingofDIY.  He got some cheap lights off Amazon, and has had good results with them. 

I personally don't have any scientific reasoning for this but I don't see what advantage a small amount of surface area is as long as the surface receives good agitation from the filter returns. Are aquariums known for low levels of dissolved oxygen or something?

Congrats on the new tank purchase. I have a 40b that has served me well.

From what I understand, surface area has to do with gas exchange in general. Oxygen from the air itself enters the water through the surface and goldfish need lots of oxygen for optimal health and also certain gasses can exit the water through such processes I believe. The smaller the surface area, the less optimal the gas exchange. Very important issue where goldfish are involved. Edited by mjfromga

What matters is the surface area to volume ratio.  You get the same amount of gas exchange at surfaces of equivalent area like the 40B, 55, and 60.  The top inch or so of water holds the same amount of oxygen., but from there it diffuses through the tank. If it diffuses uniformly through all of the tanks, the larger the volume  the lower the average oxygen concentration.  However, the deeper the tank, the further the oxygen has to diffuse to get to the bottom.  Furthermore, the fish and other organisms take it up before it gets to the bottom

Now consider the exchange of other gases at the surface Those produced by the fish, carbon dioxide and ammonia, originate below the surface and have to get to the surface to leave.   The deeper the tank, the longer this takes.

On another forum, a guy described a fish that had arrived with some surface abrasions but otherwise healthy.  It died during quarantine with obviously infected wounds.  A little questioning revealed that his quarantine tank was a 55 gallon drum -- ~33 inches deep and with about 1.7 square feet of surface area.  I pointed out that that tank would have little oxygen through most of its depth.  He said that wasn't the problem because he had an airstone in there and the fish showed no signs of oxygen deprivation and besides, he'd kept fish in these before and they didn't die.

Now consider his drum.  The conditions at the bottom will be anoxic, with very low oxygen concentration (technically, one calls this severely hypoxic, but fishkeepers use anoxic).  Healthy fish will spend their time in the top half of the drum, where there is abundant oxygen.  But you know what fish that don't feel well do -- they sit on the bottom.  Healthy goldfish can tolerate low oxygen for a long time.  Sick, weakened, or injured fish don't.  And anaerobic pathogens can quickly establish deep infections in this environment.

For what it's worth, I heard a rumor that the 75 gallon was included in the $/G sale this time...

It is, although not all stores have it in stock.