Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Goldie

Please Help My New Oranda

A new oranda, named Howie, is in my hospital tank and I need a little assistance helping him through a couple of disease/illnesses he has. I knew I shouldn't have bought him but no one can resist those chubby cheeks.

As far as I know... he has dropsy, fin rot, fish lice, open sores, and flukes. Show all the signs: pine-coning, eroding fin edge, green disk all over his tail and moving to his body, and clamped fins. Surprisingly though he is semi-active and always eats all the food I provide.  

Treatment started 3 days ago with .3%, kanaplex, and an 80 degree temperature.

I'm trying to knock out the dropsy and fin rot. He is still pine-coned but I remain hopeful. The kanaplex says to only do 3 doses maximum every 2 days for a total of 6 days of treatment. Is it okay to extend treatment past that if I do need to treat more?

I figured I would treat him for flukes after he healed from the dropsy. I didn't want to do too much treatment as to cause more stress. Don't want to throw the kitchen sink at him. Or, is it okay to do that now?

As for the fish lice. I know they are feeding on him like a tick would a dog. That in turn weakens him so I'm worried that it could prolong the dropsy or result in something else dramatic.  

What should I treat to get rid of those things? I've heard salt does nothing and that potassium permanganate dips do wonders. But I have no idea has to how to go about treatment. Or if it just adding more undue stress. Also, do I need to manually remove the lice? 

Edited by Miss_Goldie

Well as this is Xmas week, responses may get slow hun...

I cant say that the Kanaplex is hard on the fish's kidneys so I wouldnt recommend going over the dosage :)

Have you added any Epsom salt to reduce the swelling?

Could you give us some photos of the fish or a video?

I've added API Aquarium Salt.  I do have Epsom Salt too.  If that is better, I'll switch. I can get you video in the morning since the fish is sleeping now. 

I also have WipeOut by Crystal Clear too.

I've added API Aquarium Salt.  I do have Epsom Salt too.  If that is better, I'll switch. I can get you video in the morning since the fish is sleeping now. 

I also have WipeOut by Crystal Clear too.

I'm sorry your fish isn't doing well :hug

Yes, please do switch to epsom. The aquarium salt will keep the fluids retained while the epsom salt will help expel them. 

What are your water parameters in the QT tank and tap water? 

Dose the epsom salt at 1/2 tsp per ten gallons. Make sure the aquarium salt is out of the water before you add the epsom. Do you have metronidazole (Seachem Metroplex)? 

Make sure to get some above view shots of the oranda so we can see the pinconing. 

As for the fish lice, I am not quite sure. I usually pull them off. I am not sure what the correct treatment method is for that though.

Hope Howie feels better.

Please fill out the D/D form

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

In addition, we need to know what medications you have on hand or can pick up locally.

If you do not have metronidazole and cannot get it locally, please get some API General Cure. 

Since he is eating, you may want to order these medicated foods from Angels Plus:  Antibiotic 2 and Antiprotozoan.

If you have prazi, please use it along with the antibiotics.  Flukes stress the fish a lot more than prazi.

We won't worry about the fish lice at present.

Thank you guys for helping me out. He didn't make it but I gave it my all. 

So sorry for your loss. RIP Howie.

I'm sorry for your loss :hug

Sorry you lost him :(