Kokos Goldfish Forum
musterbeard

Moving Goldfish to 300 Litres Pool?

Hello,

I have been keeping 2 goldies in a 4.5 gallon aquarium for 2 years and decided to find someone who would be willing to take care of them and offer appropriate conditions. I found someone locally who has 300 litre pool with only goldies in it and would welcome my fishies.

I use public transportation to move and don't know what would be the process of transporting and handling fishies. Is there something to consider when introducing fishies to new place of habitat that have to do with their adaptation? Is there a caution to consider in how other goldfish will respond to new goldfish? I heard stories where fish would eat other fish.

One last thing. I use Prime dechlorinator to dechlorinate water. Today was first time that I forgot to use it when I changed 100% of water. I left goldfish in it for 1 minute until I put 2 drops of Prime into fishtank. Is there something to be concerned about?

Thanks!

Hi! :)

The minute without prime wouldn't have hurt them. 

As far as moving them, I'm sure they will love the bigger space. To move them I would find a container with just enough water to cover them and a lid to prevent splashing, or if you can get some bags like you use to bring them home from the shop in and use them. How far do you have to travel?

When introducing them to the pond as long as the water temp and ph are the same/similar there shouldn't be any special adaptions needed. There shouldn't be any problems with the fish meeting new fish.

300 litres is only 79-80 gallons. if she has 3 or more fish in there, then she is fully stocked. with yours, she will be overstocked. their conditions may be slightly improved being a pond (and hopefully well established where it concerns nitrogen cycle), but sending them into a crammed long-term arrangement is not really ideal.

If you have to chose between 2 fish in a 4.5 gallon tank and too many fish in a 300 l pond, I vote for the pond.  Ideally, you might find someone to keep them in a 20 gallon or larger tank.  

Unless the pond temperature differs greatly from your tank temperature, carrying the fish in a bag and then floating the bag in the pond for a half hour before releasing them should help them adjust to the different environment.

Goldfish readily accept new goldfish into the "family."

Thanks for your reponses. Does it matter what kind of  bag do I transport them in? Transparent nylon bag, not too thick for fish to adjust properly or shopping mall bag will do too? I may put them into former and former into shopping mall bag because I don't want anyone staring. Also what about aeration?

Put them in a storage bag intended for food.  Half fill the bag with water and leave air space when you close it.  You can put the bag of fish in a shopping bag so you won't look strange.  :)

I found nylon bag for protecting pages that has 6 holes that you put inside office binder. I think it will be one of options to consider. I will close it with plastic food sealing clip.

I found nylon bag for protecting pages that has 6 holes that you put inside office binder. I think it will be one of options to consider. I will close it with plastic food sealing clip.

I'm sorry, you're joking right? You want to put a fish inside of a page protector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd definitely look for a sealable food bag rather than a page protector

You definitely want to use a sealable food bag.

I'm sorry, you're joking right? You want to put a fish inside of a page protector?

Are ziplock bags to be used because they are made of food-safe material posing no harm to fish? I do not have ziplock bags. I have found transparent sheet protectors that are thick enough.

Do food storage bags not exist in Israel?  The brand does not matter.

Food safe is definitely a good start. I think they would be much more safe and stable than page protectors too. In my experience page protectors tear very easily

Food safe is definitely a good start. I think they would be much more safe and stable than page protectors too. In my experience page protectors tear very easily

I agree with Mandy...I just don't think a page protector is going to be able to hold water without tearing. A food safe ziplock bag is going to be best.

Edited by Lizzy

The fishkeeper gave me sturdy Sera bags and I used 2 to carry goldies to his pond.
They feel a lot better now in a well maintained pond:

http://imgur.com/qacbsYF
http://imgur.com/d5iBt0j

I have these supplies left which I bought in 2013:

Sera Costapur  - http://imgur.com/AK1Eu
And Chemi Pure - http://imgur.com/QddhY

Sera Costapur medication has expiry date of late 2013. ChemiPure is a fiter that I used.

Do I get rid of both?

Nice pond!