Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

Watson II and Wilbur

I saw these two listed on gumtree last night...I couldn't resist.

The Shubunkin (or common?) is 10 years old and the Moor is 7

I named the Shubunkin Wilbur (Because he is fat so that lead me to pigs that led me to Wilbur) and the Moor Watson II (I was looking for another fish to named Watson to match Sherlock since Watson has disappeared from pond)

I'm hoping Wilbur is just fat and not bloated but will see how he goes in QT. I was a bit worried about stressing them so acclimated them to the QT really slowly. The pond they came from was quite small and so dirty looking you couldn't see the fish in it :o It seems they were doing well to breed and grow to this size though.

The man said the Moor is the third generation from fish he bought 15 years ago and that he is just finding it too hard to keep up with keeping the pond clean so he is shutting it down.

Hopefully I'll get at least a while with these guys, I know they are already fairly senior. I'm excited to get them into my pond though, they probably wont know what to do with themselves!

i0lMbgC.jpg

1E3JfyL.jpg

E2FiEho.jpg

sfxCWi0.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Wilbur looks very slender for a 10 year old fish.

I wonder how Watson's color might change.  The black looks so black, and at his age I don't expect a color change to orange even though he has orange patches.

Wilbur looks very slender for a 10 year old fish.

I wonder how Watson's color might change.  The black looks so black, and at his age I don't expect a color change to orange even though he has orange patches.

That's great! I've never had a fish this old so wasn't certain :)

He is so black it's hard to make out which part of him is what :rofl

They are adorable!!! Good luck with them :)

Holy cow, they are ginormous!!! Congratulations on a wicked good find, and I hope everything goes smoothly for you and the fish during QT. :)

They are gorgeous Mandy!!! 

Thanks everyone! I'm so in love I wish I could keep Watson inside lol. But will give me more reason to get the yard cleaned up and enjoy the pond more

omg That Moor :) :) I hope we get lots of qt pics before they are out in the pond for good :)

Congrats on the new additions :)

Neat fish!

Thanks guys. They are quite mopey in QT :( I think they are just stressed from the move. Hope so anyway! I can't wait to get them into the pond. They look so cramped in the QT even though I'm using a 30g tub. I hate it!

I really wish I could put Watson in a tank but my tanks are both fully stocked. He would just look so amazing from side view! 

I just need another tank :rofl

But worried about these guys, they still haven't eaten since I bought them home.

Yes, that is mildly worrying. Maybe try some different food? You said they were in a very dirty pond so maybe their systems are shocked from water quality changes? Hope they feel better soon.

Thanks Myra

I'm hoping it is just stress. They aren't very active either. I've tried a couple different pellets (sinking and floating) and seaweed so far. I don't have any bloodworms right now but when I can get some I'll try them as well. They swim right past the food, don't show any interest in it at all!

Can you get duckweed? Since they came from a dirty-looking pond, they expect live food.  You have a container pond, right?  Can you scrape some of the algae from the pond side/bottom to give them?  Something like this works well.  You could also put one of your fish in with them to teach them that your pellets = food.  I doubt that they present much disease risk to a healthy fish.

I'll pull out some algae and try to get some duckweed :) if i have no luck with that then I'll put someone in with them

Thanks Sharon!

These guys are eating now :) I couldn't get duckweed but I put one of my other fish in with them and it worked :D At first they were all like "What is that guy doing eating those weird things" but then tried it and was like "ooh!" :rofl

Looking forward to getting them all out in the pond. I'm hoping to get some side view pics of them before putting them out but my QT Tank is taken :o Hopefully it wont be by the time I move them out

Edited by FishyMandy

Goldfish communities have leaders, and the other fish look to these to determine what is edible.  People who have multiple ponds can tell you that in one pond, no tadpole survives to metamorphose, and in another, with closely related fish, no tadpole gets eaten by a goldfish.

Yea, its really interesting to see it in action!

So breaking even my own QT rules I put these guys out in the pond today. They just looked so miserable inside! They were eating now, moving around..just did not look happy. As soon as they were outside they were exploring the space, greeting everyone and just looking so much better. If not QTing properly comes back to bite me I'll own it and I don't advise doing the same as me :hide:

Anyway before putting them in the pond I put them in a small tank to get some side view shots, here you go, enjoy

D5LmELq.jpg

TgkMibc.jpg

6QXg5ti.jpg

Ur11F5P.jpg

iB56LU1.jpg

vLWPZjD.jpg

hYIaxtn.jpg

XTO39AI.jpg

l40C7j0.jpg

wQXebFo.jpg

It was amazing seeing them from that angle at last, and I wish i could see it more often, but I can see they are a lot happier outside in a pond environment. The tank was a 5gallon and seeing how they took up a good majority of the tank made me think about when I first started with goldies and had three in a 5gallon tank. Quite horrifying!

Bonus Sideshots of Raven who was teaching them that pellets are food, A short time inside and he has already gone more brown than black lol

VP7qcpF.jpg

awOmv9l.jpg

fz2HB6a.jpg

ajHKyT5.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Oh i am SO happy you got those side-view shots! :druel:

They are just so stunning :wub:

I hope everything goes well with them in the pond! :hug

They look fantastic Mandy!!!! 

Thanks guys. Wilbur absolutely loves Picasso, it's so cute. He swims around following him. 

So Wilbur has settled into the pond brilliantly. He is more active than I've ever seen him and he seems amazingly happy.

Watson is a different story. He stays on the bottom, barely moves. If I bring him to the surface he goes straight back down and has developed quite a slime coat build up. I've bought him back inside again and we'll see how he goes.

Edited by FishyMandy

Watson is looking worse and worse unfortunately :( He isn't doing well at all