Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Distaff

Ugh, water issues

6 posts in this topic

First, the city decided they needed to turn off the water for repairs - multiple times.  Then, the tap water would come out strange...and stranger.  Our Berkey drinking water filter inserts stopped filtering, so we just bought another set (so far, so good, there at this point).  This week, we had a plumber basically pull the all guts out of the house - all of it brittle galvinized and caliche clogged.  The line from the kitchen sink out to the sewer was a mess too  - too many elbows, and almost no slope.  House is a 140 yr old adobe that started out as a store, and has been added on to room by room over the decades.  And, while we are at it, why NOT replace an old water heater? 

That took three LONG days, glad it is over.  The outdoor fish have been in spots neglected.  When the city was messing with things, I didn't trust the water, and we store lots of water for the fish, but I ended up using most of the stored water for us and the livestock.  (Oh, and then yesterday, BF casually mentioned that he gave the plumber one of my fish water change buckets to drain the sewer line.  Ack!!)

We had a beautiful 70F day today, so I gave both outdoor tubs a big water change.  The fish looked cheerful, esp. Hanako the Wakin.  She is such a big, lovely, easy going fish.  Reminds me of a koi. 

Weather is expected to get cold and windy tomorrow.

Edited by Distaff

Dang I would love to see photos of the old house.. I love them :)

What a plumbing mess! I'm glad you survived it :lol:

Here's to much happier house hugs and fish tanks too!

Wow what a mess! Sounds like Chaos! Hopefully it's all done with now!

Whew! I kept expecting you to say you still had water problems.  So happy you don't!

Thanks, everyone.

Glad it is over.  Everyone is doing well, even the floaty/tippy Gengi, who is spending the winter indoors. 

Of course, all that (for some reason) only makes me want more fish.  Go figure.  I put a cool looking Fluval 12 gal  and a heater in my Amazon shopping cart (white cloud minnows? or, dwarf sunfish?  or, maybe a tiny Gourami?...).   Almost certainly not gonna happen for the foreseeable future (I don't even have any space for it!), but we can all dream. 

So, speaking of Amazon orders, it is time for Christmas!  I got the fish a back-up bottle of Prime, and another jar of food.   The parakeets and canary will get the standard seeds. pellets, Nutriberries, and they will also enjoy a FeatherBrite avian light with the proper parameters and spectrum (which admittedly should have been in place before I got them, but I didn't know - standard care sheets tend not to mention that).