• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.50
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 70 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon QT, running for 8 days
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 20
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% daily
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday-50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2-a 1.5" fantail and a 3" telescope
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera +A once per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Both are new fish
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Salt and Prazi per QT procedure-we are on day 8
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Salt and Prazi per QT procedure-we are on day 8
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White growth on tail of telescope GF, seems to be growing, can be seen on outside and underside of tail, underside has a little "string" coming off of it (see pics)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, they are both acting totally normal

CaVT0LO.jpg

Gmuixpk.jpg

More details would help - Did this one come this way from a store or supplier or develop this since coming to you? Can we see pictures of the tail in the water? Can you shift the bump st all or scrape it? Soft or firm to the touch?

Edited by Arctic Mama

More details would help - Did this one come this way from a store or supplier or develop this since coming to you? Can we see pictures of the tail in the water? Can you shift the bump st all or scrape it? Soft or firm to the touch?

I tried to take more pictures just now but they are not turning out so well...I can try again tonight.  I just felt it and the bump feels soft and when I tried to scrape it the white part started to scrape off but didn't come all the way off, so now it is sort of just hanging there.  When I got this fish it just had a red area on the tail which I thought might just be an abrasion but the last couple of days it is forming this white growth on top of it.  I hope that helps :)

That does help. It's likely a cyst. Do you have salt in your quarantine already? If not, please follow our normal salting protocols and raise the salinity slowly to .3%, or about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/disease-information/on-the-use-of-salt-r470

I'd also like you to topically swab the tail twice daily with hydrogen peroxide. That alone should take care of it but if it gets worse or other symptoms pop up please let us know.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you!  I was beginning to lower the salt back down to 0.1% since the first week of QT is over but I will bump it back up to 0.3% and do the hydrogen peroxide swab as suggested!

What we want to watch for is blanched color, red streaking, hiding, lethargy, or refusing to eat. The only real complication is that the bacterial infection that caused this could spread instead of just being a localized cyst. It can be tough to see on darker fish. It keep an eye out. Keep water changes up too, and if it bursts do one immediately to get the bacteria out of the quarantine with the other fish.

hows it going?

Good!  He has made a full recovery, did well in QT and is now in the main tank :)

31 minutes ago, Josie said:

Good!  He has made a full recovery, did well in QT and is now in the main tank :)

Awesome :thumbs: