Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Floating - SB issues or something else?

Okay, I get what you're saying. And yes hard to describe, I'm just glad that in this case you see what I see - sometimes wires are crossed or the change in behavior just doesn't show off. Thank you. 

Am I doing 1 or 2 scoops of metro per 10 gallons? 

And if I have say, 8.5 gallons in there, should I just dose for the 10 or bring out my math cap? 

Just do a single scoop of each.

Okay. I got 8 gallons in. Adding meds now.

Just did Biff's water change. He is showing a tiny bit of pineconing.

(shows best at 0:27 1:04, but pretty much blurry throughout) 

Meds are at the same, and the water is creeping up to about 78.  

Is it just that little bit of roughness behind his pectoral fins? I saw nothing through his belly or peduncle. If you're noting it and it doesn't just look like some sloughed off slime coat you can add in 1/2 teaspoon epsom and see if it improves. We should know within four or five days if this med combo is helping, and we may want to switch to oxytetracycline flakes or powder if the kanamycin isn't nailing it. Just something to think about if you don't have any on hand.

You can also consider bumping the metro up to two scoops at tomorrow's change, since his symptoms may be worsening.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I will double check in a few hours to be sure it wasn't just slime coat. But I'm near certain there were just a few near his pec fins.

I'll do the second scoop of metro tomorrow, and will go ahead and order some oxy just in case. One that i knew i should have had a long time ago.

Sounds good. The metro dose doubling won't hurt anything if it isn't accurate, but if you suspect pineconing make sure to measure your kanaplex carefully. It's harder on their systems and needs to not be overdosed, though with just the mildest of pineconing I wouldn't be worried at all. Jared and I both have had good luck with this in bacterial infections provided the organ damage/dropsy isn't too advanced :)

I will double check in a few hours to be sure it wasn't just slime coat. But I'm near certain there were just a few near his pec fins.

I'll do the second scoop of metro tomorrow, and will go ahead and order some oxy just in case. One that i knew i should have had a long time ago.

if you need any in an emergency let me know! I have some on hand. :hug hope Biff feels better soon :)

ummmm would anyone like to link me to the oxy they use? I am really confused. Injections and tablets, and a few huge bags :idont

if you need any in an emergency let me know! I have some on hand. :hug hope Biff feels better soon :)

Thanks so much! :D 

I'm sorry about your pretty fishy Jenna :hug

I'm sorry about your pretty fishy Jenna :hug

Thanks Aubrey :bighug

Just making a note for myself -

Didnt see much change today.

I added 1/2 tsp epsom today, as well as a second scoop of metro.

I hope Biff feels better soon! :heart

Quick question - If i start Biff on oxy, what dosage would we use?

Mikey has kindly offered to send me some (will be faster and save me some dough) but the instructions are conflicting. Just trying to figure out how much i might need.

I hope Biff feels better soon! :heart

Thanks Mandy! :)

What kind of oxy are you using? Powder or flakes?

Powder

The instructions on the container say 1/4 tsp per 40 gallons daily for ten days with at minimum a 25% water change between each dose.

And then the website says this:

"Dose at 1 tsp per 10-50 gallons depending on severity of infection. Re-treat every 24 hours for 10 days. Do a minimum 25% water change before each retreatment."

Edited by Mikey

I don't think he's getting any better :idont

Lots more sitting, he's just lethargic. But he does go after the nori I put in, just with erratic swimming. Super unbalanced, but he's rarely upside-down at least

The floppiness you see in the beginning hasn't been going on a lot. Just caught him at a bad time :teehee

****Oh and the oxy that Mikey sent me arrived today! 

Haven't done a water change today, so if I should do anything differently please let me know. Not in a rush to get that moving.

Edited by jenzaar

How much is he eating? Do you see any swelling or streaking in his fins?

You can swap out the oxy powder for kanaplex at this point if it isn't helping, the two cover such a similar spectrum of bacteria in slightly different ways that you do not have the sort of issues with an incomplete antibiotics course you'd otherwise have. Does it as the label suggests with the only change being 100% daily water changes instead of 25% - it's just better and easier to manage overall.

Do ten days on the oxy, overlapped with the remaining metro course.

Hi Taryl. I'm only doing a little a day, maybe a dime-sized piece, but he's going after it all.

I don't think he's as bloated, but i could be wrong. When i take him out I'll try to compare better. I don't see any streaking.

And do 1/16tsp? (Thank goodness for those tiny spoons!)

That sounds about right - dose the oxy like it is a ten gallon tank, just slightly scant on the measurement.

Hi Taryl. I'm only doing a little a day, maybe a dime-sized piece, but he's going after it all.

I don't think he's as bloated, but i could be wrong. When i take him out I'll try to compare better. I don't see any streaking.

And do 1/16tsp? (Thank goodness for those tiny spoons!)

yes 1/16tsp is what I used (I had to guess half with a 1/8tsp :rofl) when I did the 10 gallon for Alvin.

Hey jenzaar?

How is it all going? Any improvements?

I'm having similar issues with my ryukin Amidala and just started a thread for her too. Busy emptying those under bed storage boxes as we speak...I haven't done meds but thinking I should stock up in case it comes to that...

Does anyone here have an updated list of kanaplex/kanamycin and Oxy sellers in the U.K.?

Past experiences have taught me not to rely on shipping from overseas at this time of year...

Thanks!

Hey jenzaar?

How is it all going? Any improvements?

I'm having similar issues with my ryukin Amidala and just started a thread for her too. Busy emptying those under bed storage boxes as we speak...I haven't done meds but thinking I should stock up in case it comes to that...

Does anyone here have an updated list of kanaplex/kanamycin and Oxy sellers in the U.K.?

Past experiences have taught me not to rely on shipping from overseas at this time of year...

Thanks!

Hi Queens4Fish :hi

To be honest I'm not sure if there's much improvement. It's time to do a recap and see where we're at and what we can change, if anything.

The upside-down issue seems to have resolved, but Biff is still super lethargic. He just stands there most of the time, but as of today he is eager for food and will come to say hello if I'm fussing over him. I'm seeing a lot more poo than I had in the beginning of this. My duckweed has not come in yet after 2 weeks :blowup so I've been feeding him nori for now. :)

Hope you can figure out what's going on with your fish and get her back in good health! :)

We have an International Help Forum  where we seriously need everyone to report on what medications they can obtain, how to get them, and whether they worked.