Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Pretty color...

HORRID pH. This is tap with the high range pH test. It is no longer on the chart. It's usually a deep purple past the last color, but this is worse. I've been looking into a way to test past what the kit will test. Reliably lowering it has been impossible as it also has no GH or KH to speak of.

BTW - I've gone through 3 kits all expiring in 2020+ so the test is working properly. When I asked about water quality, I was dodged and given the runaround. I hope my fish are okay. Will this affect them in the long run? I don't want to hurt them.

post-25299-0-32488600-1481248897_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga

It's horrible, yes, and don't lower it. As long as it is behaving somewhat stable once it is offgassed just trust your fish are acclimated. Goldfish really are highly adaptable, and while it's not the best for them I wouldn't automatically assume it is shortening their lifespans. PH changes are by far the bigger deal. Plants may help as well and won't do anything to hurt the water quality.

Edited by Arctic Mama

This has good reviews and a reasonable price.  

You might read the comments of Roddy Conrad here,  starting at post #12,  and try his advice.  You must, however do this in a separate container, like a 55 gallon drum,  and not in the tank.  The only other safe way of lowering pH that I know of is mixing tap water with RO water.  You still have to buffer the RO water.  

Keeping a large container of tap water allows you to even out variations in the water.

Daily water changes of 10% remove wastes as well as a 50% weekly water change and avoid causing an abrupt pH change.  

Goldfish have been found living in natural bodies of water with a pH of 10.5.

10.5.  Wow.

High pH is a pain, esp. if one wants to branch out into other types of fish.  At a consistant 8-8.2, discus and many others are probably out for me.  Rachael O'Leary (spell) has a video on a little shell brooding ciclid, multifaciata (spell?)-somehthing, and IIRC, that one takes hard water.  The King of DIY has a tank with them too. 

Thank goodness for the goldies.  If it weren't for their adaptability (and cold tolerance), I wouldn't have any fish at all.

Thanks for info. I don't think the pH is 10.5 but it's reading off the charts. Unfortunate. I just don't want to harm my fish. I'll try and get a drum to try the water thingy.