gothicchick1100

Tank size.

11 posts in this topic

I've recently rescued two tiny comet goldfish, didn't really have the space but they were going to die if I didn't have them. I currently have 3 tanks, however the only tank I could really put them in is only 100 litres, I currently have 3 bn plecs in there. What tank size do I really need for 2 comets and 3 bn plecs? At the moment I have the goldfish in a 65 litre storage container as they are in quarantine. I'm worried about their size in relation to the bn plecs, do you think they might get eaten at their current size?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Or would they be better off in my 400 litre tank temporarily? Currently home to 4 fancies and 3 weather loaches.

Get them a shallow plastic storage box for a tank -- something like this.  None of your tanks appear to have space to spare.  You should always quarantine new fish in a separate tank for at least a month.

Definitely wouldn't put them with the fancies, because food competition will be in favor of the comets. I had a comet in a 75G tank with a pleco, and a shubunkin friend too, and that worked out well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have never had an issue with food competition between comets and fancies.  I suppose if you put one pellet per fish at the far end of the tank, fish who swam faster would get more food, but I've never seen that done.  When I had a mixture of fancies and comets in an aquarium, the pearlscale -- the slowest swimmer -- always got to the food first.  

​Fancies with eye mutations may not compete well with other goldfish (plain or fancy) in finding food and may need hand feeding.

Get them a shallow plastic storage box for a tank -- something like this. None of your tanks appear to have space to spare. You should always quarantine new fish in a separate tank for at least a month.

This isn't going to work out long term though is it?

I have never had an issue with food competition between comets and fancies. I suppose if you put one pellet per fish at the far end of the tank, fish who swam faster would get more food, but I've never seen that done. When I had a mixture of fancies and comets in an aquarium, the pearlscale -- the slowest swimmer -- always got to the food first.

​Fancies with eye mutations may not compete well with other goldfish (plain or fancy) in finding food and may need hand feeding.

For how long do you think they'll be ok in with my fancies? Obviously when they get larger stocking levels will be an issue.

The 400 l tank currently has all the fish it can safely hold. 

Get them a shallow plastic storage box for a tank -- something like this. None of your tanks appear to have space to spare. You should always quarantine new fish in a separate tank for at least a month.

This isn't going to work out long term though is it?

Actually, you can keep more fish per unit volume in a shallow tub with lots of surface area than in a standard aquarium.  Of course, you need good filtration and water changes. 

This video shows a indoor pond made from an underbed storage box.   I don't recommend his stocking level, but it certainly seems that his fish thrive in his "pond".

So the 55 litre storage container would be fine for the two goldfish long term? Is it better than the quarantine tank I already have them in which is just a standard 65 litre storage tub, it's tall though not shallow.

Edited by gothicchick1100

It depends on what you mean by long term, and how fast the fish grow.  I won't tell you how many young goldfish I have kept in one of those IKEA boxes when I had way too many babies, but I certainly wouldn't have put them in a deep 65 l box.  

This source gives stocking levels by surface area.  

Given a cycled filter and at least a 50% weekly water change, they will certainly be fine for at least a year.  If they don't grow very large, they may live there much longer. 

It depends on what you mean by long term, and how fast the fish grow. I won't tell you how many young goldfish I have kept in one of those IKEA boxes when I had way too many babies, but I certainly wouldn't have put them in a deep 65 l box.

This source gives stocking levels by surface area.

Given a cycled filter and at least a 50% weekly water change, they will certainly be fine for at least a year. If they don't grow very large, they may live there much longer.

Great that sounds like it could work. A year will buy me enough time yo think about bigger tanks and stuff.