Sign in to follow this  
yogosans14

Modded a Aqueon Quietflow, threw away stock media and used my own. Will this work?

7 posts in this topic

IMG_1879_zpskhukbm1i.jpg

I just placed a lot of filter sponge i bought at petco, will Benefical Bacteria grow effectively on this?

Yes, definitely! Sponges grow bb very well. Plus, there isn't any charcoal in it-- which some people question the benefits of in a tank.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I did the same, except I took that horrid BLUE thing out. I smashed the sponges on one side and added a bag of ceramic rings on the other.

The bio grid or the thing in front of it? Aqueon says the bio grid grows BB on it so I didn't remove it

I was able to fit more media without the catridge holding thingy, and figured it was worth the exchange. I don't think that piece of plastic holds much BB and I preferred the extra space for more media. Mayhap I'm wrong?

The more porous the material, the more room for bacteria. So while the blue thing would hold more than say, a wall of the filter, it doesn't hold nearly as much as a sponge. I also take them out.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I would have just gotten a white filter pad and micron pad or blue and white marine land bonded filter pads and cut it to size and stuck it in the blue bio grid. And then grabbed a small bag of nat geo wild ceramic beads and put them in there. Much easier than squeezing all those sponges in there.

Do you have the black plastic piece that goes on top of those grid things in the filter all the way to the left?