Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Mikey

New Oranda With Dropsy

51 posts in this topic

:nana:happydance

A4DF1B2C-3AA0-4E21-8962-CC790250AA14_zps ALMOST all the pinconing is gone!!!

I'm going to stop in at Petsmart tomorrow and show them

Some pictures :teehee they wanted me to let them know how he was doing

Edited by Mikey

Very very fishy smell to the water though, so it seems we still aren't cleared yet. But I can't believe the improvement 6 days has been!

Wait... I think it's from the food I put in the bucket with him :rofl3 the tank itself has almost no odor :nana

Edited by Mikey

He's acting kind of strange though. I recorded a video of him swimming. Could it be because I just did a 100% water change or that he just ate? He got a quarter cube of bloodworms but he didn't eat them all. He seems to be flicking his dorsal a bit too I've noticed. He yawned yesterday.

Edited by Mikey

I wouldn't worry about it at present. Keep treatment going the full 14 days (it's good he showed improvement already, usually if you don't see it within four days you won't) and treat him for flukes when it's concluded. It may be he needs more agitation too, and bloodworms foul water fast and could be adding to the fish stink. Sick fish tend to smell fishy too and that could take awhile to clear. Any number of things.

Try to stay on top of water changes too - that will help :)

I wouldn't worry about it at present. Keep treatment going the full 14 days (it's good he showed improvement already, usually if you don't see it within four days you won't) and treat him for flukes when it's concluded. It may be he needs more agitation too, and bloodworms foul water fast and could be adding to the fish stink. Sick fish tend to smell fishy too and that could take awhile to clear. Any number of things.

Try to stay on top of water changes too - that will help :)

yes definitely keeping 14 days for the treatment :)

Oh! I fed the bloodworms in the bucket he was in while I was changing his water so it wouldn't make a mess in his tank.

The filter is 200gph (AC 50), and an air stone connected to a pump rated up to 60 gallon tanks I believe.

I felt bad for missing his water change. I've been good about the daily 100% up until yesterday :doh11: today (Friday) makes one week of treatment down :nana

Edited by Mikey

He's looking great Mikey, keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good Mikey.  Keep it up.  :D

He looks great Mikey!!!!

What a little fighter! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!! :nana

How do I go about prazi after the medicine since I can't use any salt?

52337F44-A63F-4F0E-A1E7-BAEFF72277F1_zps"omg! I'm almost all better?!?"

E1528A40-B0D4-49CC-A5FF-CEF762CA8707_zpsHe has the grumpiest face in this picture :rofl

I believe the pinconing is officially gone :):happydance

Why can't you do salt after? Is it prazipro? Just dose the prazipro for two weeks (four days on three days for, two rounds minimum) and if you still see off behavior we can do some salt. It might not be necessary though.

Why can't you do salt after? Is it prazipro? Just dose the prazipro for two weeks (four days on three days for, two rounds minimum) and if you still see off behavior we can do some salt. It might not be necessary though.

oh I thought after they have dropsy they are sensitive to salt. In have the expired one you said to double dose to be safe next time I used it.

I need to prazi my main tank really badly

love that grumpy face :) Keep up the great work Mikey :)

If the prazi liquid is expired yes, I'd double dose. As for the salt, while dropsy tends to be s recurring issue in fish it's not the salt that would cause it to recur, instead it's something that can exacerbate it while the symptom is active the same way you don't apply heat to an inflamed, injured muscle instead of ice. But if the fish is asymptomatic the salt shouldn't be an issue.

If the prazi liquid is expired yes, I'd double dose. As for the salt, while dropsy tends to be s recurring issue in fish it's not the salt that would cause it to recur, instead it's something that can exacerbate it while the symptom is active the same way you don't apply heat to an inflamed, injured muscle instead of ice. But if the fish is asymptomatic the salt shouldn't be an issue.

its the powder one

Okay cool, once the dropsy is gone How does a day or two of just clean water nothing in it for a break and then start .1% salt and prazi? Should I worry about going to .3% salt or no?

You had powdered prazi expire? I can't say I've seen that before, mine has a five year sell by and is nearly used up anyway.

I'd give him more like a week with no meds and just watch his behavior first, you may not need the salt at all. The .3% shouldn't hurt him unless he is specifically salt sensitive as some fish can be.

You had powdered prazi expire? I can't say I've seen that before, mine has a five year sell by and is nearly used up anyway.

I'd give him more like a week with no meds and just watch his behavior first, you may not need the salt at all. The .3% shouldn't hurt him unless he is specifically salt sensitive as some fish can be.

yup! 4A573A0F-2260-46CB-B75C-F9B20D6CC7F3_zpsC30D0F6D-DAC9-467E-957B-48C1CAF5FB36_zps

Okay, I'll see how he is after a week with no medicine. (Still another week of treatment to go). He may not need salt at all?

Unless he is showing signs of parasites the prophylactic salt isn't something I recommend. And honestly that prazi isn't that old, so unless you've stored it in hot and wet conditions I don't think double dosing is needed either.

Unless he is showing signs of parasites the prophylactic salt isn't something I recommend. And honestly that prazi isn't that old, so unless you've stored it in hot and wet conditions I don't think double dosing is needed either.

i haven't seen any other fish lice on him since the original three, I saw a little fun flicking and have seen him yawn once.

It was stored under my fish tank in my cabinet. It's semi humid in my room just because of the fish tanks and my door being shut so the cats don't get my bird. Other than that it's been in a dark place under my cabinet.

ugh I am such a bad owner. I missed another water change tonight. I am going to do it before work tomorrow. :/ He is doing wonderful though. He is starting to get a little belly :teehee and not a bloated pineconed one!

9CC61118-CBFC-479C-BABB-3306D4099413_zps

CC6AAF99-290E-4F99-8614-63329BE467C3_zps

1590D77B-21AB-4C8E-AD4A-777B485BEE72_zps

DEC30996-631A-45C0-B3E7-2C58A0679837_zps

Good! He does look smoother. Keep it up :)

Here is a side by side picture from December fourth to last night :)

397469F4-3F2D-4E84-ACB8-333B0EB4CE04_zps

He looks so good Mikey!!!!

Thank you! :nana