Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Josie

General Questions about Updating my Tank

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys.  So I currently have a 55 gallon tank with two large sponge filters and med-large comet goldfish.  Right now the tank is completely bare because I am trying to decide what to do with it.  I do a large water change every 7-10 days.  The water tests at the time of the change usually read Ammonia=trace, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=0-5, pH=7.4, KH=90, GH=140.  So here are my questions:

Based on those numbers and the current setup the sponge filters are adequate?

Do I want KH to be a little higher?  Right now I am not adding any baking soda when I change the water.

I am thinking about adding some black sand and two of the large floating plants (the ones like Jenni from Solid Gold uses).  I am also trying to decide between adding 1 more goldfish, or getting a small school of minnows and one snail.  Here are my questions regarding those choices:

Will the two sponge filters be okay with added fish?  I do have aquaclear filters available but I like the low-maintenance of the sponge filters.

Will I need more than the two large plants in order to provide adequate hiding for the minnows if I choose to get them?

If I got minnows and a snail do I quarantine them separately from each other?  I seem to remember that snails don't tolerate the salt and prazi protocol...

Part of what is making this a tough decision for me is that I want the quarantine period to be simple, and I would prefer not to have to deal with a tank larger than 10 gallons (I would do daily water changes).  Based on the size of my current goldfish, I am not sure if it would be safe to add a new goldfish that is small enough to QT in a 10 gallon tank.  Thoughts?

L2QYOar.jpg

Beautiful Goldfish.

What are your tank and tap pH?

Both tank and tap pH are about 7.4

As long as your pH is stable , which it appears to be, then I wouldn't mess with the KH. 90 is good.

Your sponge filters are already showing trace ammonia with 2 fish. Adding more will increase bioload. I'd add another filter...

If the minnows and the snail come from different sources I'd QT them separately.

I don't know anything about minnows so I don't know if 2 plants would be enough. In general we don't recommend minnows with GF as they may very well become lunch. :o

Hey guys.  So I currently have a 55 gallon tank with two large sponge filters and med-large comet goldfish.  Right now the tank is completely bare because I am trying to decide what to do with it.  

I do a large water change every 7-10 days.  How big is large? I consider it somewhat dangerous to do very large water changes at intervals longer than one week, since these result in a big change in water chemistry.

The water tests at the time of the change usually read (Do you mean tank water tested before the water change?)

Ammonia=trace,  (explain "trace" please)

Nitrite=0,

Nitrate=0-5,

pH=7.4,

KH=90,

GH=140.  So here are my questions:

Based on those numbers and the current setup the sponge filters are adequate? How often do you clean the sponge filters and how do you clean them?  How large are those sponge filters? Two large sponge filters should produce zero ammonia and nitrite with two fish, let alone one.

Do I want KH to be a little higher?  Right now I am not adding any baking soda when I change the water.  If you have a stable pH, you don't have to worry about KH.

I am thinking about adding some black sand and two of the large floating plants (the ones like Jenni from Solid Gold uses).  I am also trying to decide between adding 1 more goldfish, or getting a small school of minnows and one snail.  Here are my questions regarding those choices:

Will the two sponge filters be okay with added fish?  I do have aquaclear filters available but I like the low-maintenance of the sponge filters.

See above. 

Will I need more than the two large plants in order to provide adequate hiding for the minnows if I choose to get them?  A separate tank will produce adequate hiding.

Part of what is making this a tough decision for me is that I want the quarantine period to be simple, and I would prefer not to have to deal with a tank larger than 10 gallons (I would do daily water changes).  Based on the size of my current goldfish, I am not sure if it would be safe to add a new goldfish that is small enough to QT in a 10 gallon tank.  Thoughts?

Most of us use a 10 gallon tank/tub for quarantining one fish regardless of size.  

Hey guys.  So I currently have a 55 gallon tank with two large sponge filters and med-large comet goldfish.  Right now the tank is completely bare because I am trying to decide what to do with it.  

I do a large water change every 7-10 days.  How big is large? I consider it somewhat dangerous to do very large water changes at intervals longer than one week, since these result in a big change in water chemistry.  Usually about 90%.  So...if I added another fish and did 90% every 7 days would that be okay?

The water tests at the time of the change usually read (Do you mean tank water tested before the water change?) Yes tank water tested before the water change

Ammonia=trace,  (explain "trace" please) Trace means just barely more green than 0 but definitely not 0.25.  I may even be imagining the color change it is just hard to tell sometimes.

Nitrite=0,

Nitrate=0-5,

pH=7.4,

KH=90,

GH=140.  So here are my questions:

Based on those numbers and the current setup the sponge filters are adequate? How often do you clean the sponge filters and how do you clean them?  How large are those sponge filters? Two large sponge filters should produce zero ammonia and nitrite with two fish, let alone one. I clean the sponge filters everytime I do the water change.  I just fill a bucket with tank water and clean off the plastic parts and repeatedly squeeze out the sponge parts until the water coming out looks clean.

Do I want KH to be a little higher?  Right now I am not adding any baking soda when I change the water.  If you have a stable pH, you don't have to worry about KH. 

See above. 

Will I need more than the two large plants in order to provide adequate hiding for the minnows if I choose to get them?  A separate tank will produce adequate hiding. So no to minnows in with a GF even though they are listed as compatible species on this forum?

Most of us use a 10 gallon tank/tub for quarantining one fish regardless of size.   Thank you I did not realize that.

Goldfish like the company of other  goldfish and often become very close companions.  Fish of other species become food if  small enough to eat and competitors for food and space if not, although I have heard of ponds in which a comet and a specific koi became inseparable friends.  Goldfish eat goldfish eggs and fry too small for them to recognize as goldfish.  I don't know when a fry becomes a small goldfish to the big ones, but certainly by the time they "color" as have the small goldfish in the pet shops.  

How long has your comet been an only fish?  Sometimes (rarely) a goldfish that has been alone for years doesn't know how to deal with a companion and may act afraid or hostile.  More often when you put a small goldfish in with a big one, the little guy follows the big one continually for hours or even days trying to make friends.  Most often they check one another out and start looking for food.  If you can put the QT next to the main tank so the fish can see one another they will become familiar with one another before they share a tank.

This fish has only been alone for about two months.  His companion died from dropsy when I was out of town and was unable to do anything about it.  He seems really active and happy even though he is alone, but the reason I would like to add another fish is more for my benefit than his :)  I am sure he would appreciate the company though.  Thank you for the tip about putting the QT tank next to him, I have just enough space.  I have been watching rain garden and dandy orandas for possible additions, and I may go check out the local fish store today.

Oooh if you get an ECR-- or any new fish-- just keep in mind that we require pics immediately!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Oooh if you get an ECR-- or any new fish-- just keep in mind that we require pics immediately!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Okay well I did get a fish LOL!  Here you go...

CAFz9FL.jpg

Oh also the little part where the tubing connects to the air pump just randomly broke off on it's own, so I did switch back to having 2 aquaclear 70s as my filters.  Also added black sand and some decor...

MXQUEr5.jpg

Your new fish is gorgeous.  :thud

Your tank looks great and I love your newbie!

Awe! So pretty!

Your goldie is so pretty! I would like to see MORE pictures!!!! :fishtank

Tank looks Great :) and I can't wait to see him with his new friend :) after qt of corse ;)

Edited by shellbell4ever

Your goldie is so pretty! I would like to see MORE pictures!!!! :fishtank

There will be plenty of pictures after QT, I will post in the new arrivals area.  Ugh and of course I was admiring this black moor at the LFS so went back to get him the next day-to me he looked almost as good as a fish from solid gold, and at only $20 I just couldn't resist.  So after QT there will be 3 in the big tank!

HxycJEN.jpg

He's gorgeous Josie!!!! 

WOW hes nice.. :)

Wow pretty boy!