Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie1422

Injured fish - Needs help.

I was at Walmart yesterday and looked in the fish tanks to see this poor guy with almost his entire side ripped off. Very sad. I couldn't leave him so now here he is at home with me. I am

Not sure what to do. Any tips would be great. The first day he started swimming right away when I put him in a 5 gal tank with prime, melafix, and pimafix. The side was very raw looking like the injury had just happened. It even looked a little bloody. This morning I changed his water, put in the prime, melafix and pimafix and he appeared to have white forming around the edges of the wound. I came home from work and now his fins are clenched and there is quite a bit of white on the wound area and he is less active. I changed the water again because I figured clean water has to be some what beneficial for him and again added prime, melafix, and pimafix. He is in an uncycled tank with a sponge filter going since I wasn't planning on any new fish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok sorry I am trying to figure out how to load the pictures. Be patient with me!

Hope he feels better.

Posted Image

The day I brought him home. He's still in the bag.

Posted Image

This is today. There are more white fluffy things around the wound than this shows.

681C69AC-F6AF-4E7E-8D9E-C65C2318D202_zps

The day I brought him home. He's still in the bag.

He's pretty.

0B82B760-6905-44E9-A011-B46E6C0C9C05_zps

This is blurry but you can kind of see what is forming around the wound.

Anyone have tips for before I go to work for the day?

Clean water is most important, so keep up changing all of the water daily.  I suggest you stop the "fixes" and use salt -- aquarium salt or any other 100% NaCl.  Add 5 teaspoons of salt to his 5 gallons of new water, dissolving it before you return him to the tank.  This gives you 0.1% salt, which soothes the fish.

If you don't have hydrogen peroxide, and iodine (preferably betadine which doesn't sting at all),  pick some up on your way home.  Also get some denture powder.  Take the fish out of the tank lay it on a wet cloth, wound side up and cover the head with a wet cloth.   This won't harm the fish and should keep it quiet.  

Swab all of the white fuzz with hydrogen peroxide.  When it stops fizzing,  pat the wound dry, cover it with iodine, and sprinkle denture powder on it until it stops  absorbing liquid.  Pat the paste down.  With luck, it will stay on the fish when you return it to the water.

Twelve hours after you added the 5 teaspoons of salt, add another 5 teaspoons of salt, giving 0.2% salt.  Twelve hours later, do a 100% water change adding 15 teaspoons of salt to the new water (0.3% salt).  This level of salt has some anti-bacterial action and you should maintain this amount of salt until the fish recovers.

If the "bandage" washes off,  at the next water change remove the fish as before, but don't use more hydrogen peroxide.  Just swab with the gentler iodine.

Thank you! I will grab all this on my way home. I'll post a picture of how it looks ave fire/after.

Ok - so when I got home with all the supplies the fish was pretty inactive. He was bottom sitting and not swimming much. I did the water change and added the salt while I had him out to make the "bandage". I swabbed with the peroxide, put on betadine and then sprinkled with the denture powder. The bandage appeared to stay in when I put him back in his fresh water. He is now somewhat floating on his side in the tank in the corner. He was out of water less than a minute because I had a little station set up to be quick. Hope it helps me. Poor guy.

5F3845F3-3A37-4738-BA7E-6EBB53371105_zps

9303936F-C111-4C81-848E-7E964CA03577_zps

These two pictures are before the cleaning and band aide. He looks pretty rough.

70405687-1658-450C-9C28-41ADA0419D0E_zps

This is right after the denture powder before I placed him back into his tank.

38EDACE0-6155-457E-B02F-03633631B6C6_zps

Here he is floating on his side.

Hope this works! I am cheering for the little fellow to make it!

That wound looks serious, but if we can avoid infection he might have a chance.   You did a good job of treating it.

Yes. It was really bad. Any guesses as to what could have done that to him? At Walmart he was in a tank with only a few other goldfish. It looked pretty fresh when I stumbled upon him a few days ago... and he was still very active then. I have him in a room where it is dark and quiet. Last time I peaked in he was swimming upright again but his fins are all still clamped. I am still hoping for the best.

Thank you sooo much for the tip on how to start treating him.

That looks like a heater burn. Just keep his water impeccable with the salt, twice daily water changes would be great, and keep it warm. Touch him as little as humanly possible otherwise - lights off, no feeding or just two tiny meals per day (one gulp of food is a good size if he will eat). If he is going to make it the only way is by his body getting enough strength and rest to heal itself. We can promote that with the clean water, salt to inhibit fungus and bacteria and beef up his slime coat, and leaving the poor little guy alone as much as possible when not bandaging him.

Yes. It was really bad. Any guesses as to what could have done that to him? At Walmart he was in a tank with only a few other goldfish. It looked pretty fresh when I stumbled upon him a few days ago... and he was still very active then. I have him in a room where it is dark and quiet. Last time I peaked in he was swimming upright again but his fins are all still clamped. I am still hoping for the best.

Like I said, it looks like a heater burn to me. Tough to tell after the fact though.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Walmart goldfish tanks never have heaters down here, though she's not down here so perhaps. Looks to me like maybe a fish (an Oscar cichlid perhaps, which I've seen mixed with goldies at Walmart before) tore a chunk out of him?

The banding of the injury surrounding the gash is what makes me suspect. The other possibility is a necrotizing infection but I don't have enough to go on with the present info to diagnose that. The way it responds from here could help make that clear :)

True. I thought about necrosis, but have not seen it on a live fish before. Hope he gets better either way!

He is not looking good. I don't think he will make it through the night. ????

Sad. The injury did look horrible. Hopefully he makes it, but if not... You tried. Poor little guy.