gothicchick1100

Correct stocking levels

12 posts in this topic

Just a quick question. My fish tank is 106 us gallons, I currently have 4 fancies and 3 weather loaches, i was wondering if this gave me anymore room for additional fish? As I'm not sure how much space the weather loaches need, I've had them around 5 years and they haven't grown any bigger for the last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We typically recommend 20 gallons per goldfish.  How big are your loaches?  I don't think I'd add anymore fish.  :idont

I wouldn't add anymore fish.

We typically recommend 20 gallons per goldfish. How big are your loaches? I don't think I'd add anymore fish. :idont

Ahh I see, I always thought it was 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional? Loaches are around 6 inches I suppose.

20 gallons per fish.  Have you read our guidelines?

By the 10 for each additional fish rule, an only fish needs 20 gallons of water,  one of a pair needs 15 gallons, and one of nine needs 11 gallons.  How does that make sense?

That said, adding another goldfish shouldn't crash your system.

Meh - I tend to stock at what I can manage. Taryl and many others do the same. If I notice that water quality gets poor too fast, then I know I'm overstocked past my capacity. Time to upgrade or boot some fish.

I mean in seriousness, a 40B or 55 gallon tank takes up a huge amount of space and according to this site, you should really only put two goldfish in it. I honestly think that's ridiculous. I can't put up enormous tanks for only a few fish and while I like ponds, they aren't good for viewing my favorite breed.

I don't think I'll ever stock at 20 gallons per fish. If I can NEVER keep any fish alive without stocking at those levels, I'll change to a different type of fish that I can stock at higher levels or I'll give up on the hobby. It's only fun to me now if I can have lots of fishies.

I'm only a year into the hobby and I'm still trying my hand at a few things and my fish are mostly mass merchandiser fish so I'm still working out how I will fare.

Maybe your stocking levels have something to do with the survival rates of your fish, which appear somewhat below average.

Only a year into the hobby so I don't count but still. Have a fish (one of my two original fish) that's still alive after that year of mistakes. A little Ryukin, from crappy Walmart. I'll put my deaths so far and cause. ALL FISH EXCEPT ONE WHICH I WILL MENTION WERE GOTTEN AS TINY BABIES.

Type: Ryukin
Owned for maybe 8 months - from yucky Walmart tank
Aggressive tumor recurrence from early age, succumbed to Hexamita HITHD and septicemia

Type: Ryukin
Owned for a few months - from local breeder
Death, filter accident, fish was totally healthy. Rookie error.

Type: fantail
Age 2 years, owned for few months - local breeder
Swim bladder issues that began after consumption of gravel that worsened until I decided to euthanize. My error. Fish had a 100% detached swim bladder upon necropsy, issue was not congenital.

Type: moor
Owned less than a month - yucky Walmart tanks
Death: sudden and unexplained

Type: fantail
Owned several months - yucky Walmart tanks
Never grew past the less than 1 gram it weighed when I got it. Runted fish. Found bloated and stuck to the filter intake one morning. Wasn't dead, but didn't survive the next 24 hours. 

I definitely wouldn't say 20g per fish is ridiculous. After seeing how big these fish can get and how quickly nitrates can skyrocket. 20g per fish also seems to give the easiest mantainance routine, making it more enjoyable for the owner to keep the fish.

Sure higher stocking rates are possible if you are willing to do the mantaince and there are several with higher stocking rates, but the 20g per fish guideline is definitely not ridiculous.

Sharon or Shakaho or whatever you'd like to be called, my source of fish and poor tap water have a lot to do with it, as well. Take into account that one loss was from being sucked into a filter, one fish began showing issues after being almost killed by eating gravel (my stocking levels had nothing to do with those), and one fish died suddenly in QT, with another fish that was less than 1 gram when I got it and never grew.

I think I'm doing okay with everything considered, even one of my two very first fish is still alive. I'm definitely not going to let you take things where you want to. You haven't seen the tanks I pull my fish from etc. You're quick to admonish people and that's why I really don't even say much to you anymore.

I haven't even seen your fish and you said your oldest are 4 years old and outdoor pond type fish so there it goes. As for Slate, you can blame my stocking levels but you nor most of your "team" even knew what was wrong with her and it was just a once in a lifetime type thing.

You don't own fancies, you don't have tanks, and you don't have my tap water, use my source of fish, or anything so I'd really appreciate if you got off my case. I honestly think through all the mistakes and issues considered, I'm not doing that bad, and it is what it is.

Oh and I want to say this... I didn't mean that the gallonage itself was ridiculous, I meant the number of fish for such large spaces is ridiculous. Few fish I lost to accidents, poor Slate was doomed from the outset, and taking that list and picking at it when you seemed to not consider anything within the list is IMO a sorry thing to do.

I try so hard to take in as many as I can, I buy so much stuff to help them, I love them with all my heart, and the thing is - I AM LOW INCOME and I spend money I don't have to help as many as I can and to be picked apart when I've looked around and don't think at all that I'm doing that badly with things considered is just kinda hurtful.

If I have to tolerate such from a "helper" when many people didn't even put up their lists and others I'm sure do worse even with "high" quality fish, then I have little interest in posting here.

FINALLY - You NEVER EVER have anything nice to say to me. I've seen you post nice comments on other peoples threads and stuff and even when Callisto did well at the fish show, you were basically the only one who couldn't say anything nice to me. You give me NO CREDIT EVER regardless of anything I do and I honestly just don't feel welcomed by you here at all. Never have.

Edited by mjfromga

I haven't even seen your fish and you said your oldest are 4 years old and outdoor pond type fish so there it goes. As for Slate, you can blame my stocking levels but you nor most of your "team" even knew what was wrong with her and it was just a once in a lifetime type thing.

You don't own fancies, you don't have tanks, and you don't have my tap water, use my source of fish, or anything so I'd really appreciate if you got off my case. I honestly think through all the mistakes and issues considered, I'm not doing that bad, and it is what it is.

My oldest fish will be eight years old in the spring.  My oldest fancies are only about 6 years old.  Of the latter age group, approximately 80% are still alive.  The rest I lost when the city refused to tell us of contaminants in the water and did did some large water changes.  I set up a tank from time to time.

Just a quick question. My fish tank is 106 us gallons, I currently have 4 fancies and 3 weather loaches, i was wondering if this gave me anymore room for additional fish? As I'm not sure how much space the weather loaches need, I've had them around 5 years and they haven't grown any bigger for the last 3 years.

I think you're maxed out on fish - at 20 gal. per goldie, & the remaining 26 for the 3 loaches. I've got 4 goldies in a 75 gal. (285 L), & I'm frankly wondering If I'll have to upgrade them eventually - even though they're rather runty 3 1/2 year olds, they've grown very noticeably in the 18 months I've had them indoors (from a stock tank in the garden where they spent their 1st two years). I *think* they'll be able to maneuver, but I'm not sure about how easy it'll be to keep the water clean.

I'd keep it there as well. Heavier stocking means more filtration and more water changes, which is doable but much harder to maintain. More space is better for stability and ease of care if you can abide it.

I do overstock, but I don't recommend it as a rule. What an experienced fish keeper with a particular system can manage is different - but as a rule I'd say those loaches are properly accounting for 20-ish of those gallons and I wouldn't add another goldfish without bumping them or increasing water changes to twice a week. I'd probably add more biofiltration too, unless you're already doubled up over our normal recommendations :)