Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishTankEnthusiast

Fish tanks and my tiny apartment. We need to talk.

Sorry in advance, this post is pretty much just me venting/complaining. :doh11:

So I have a 55gal tank and a 75gal tank, which doesn't sound that bad, but I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment, (which I own, so I can't just move house).

I will admit that when I bought this place earlier this year, I did not consider the tanks, just thought I would cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't regret my decision, but I need to come up with some kind of solution as this whole situation is really bothering me.

My 75gal tank is currently in the living room and it is driving me crazy. I'm the kind of person who really values the look/feel of their home and I feel like this big old tank just takes over the room. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I have been in a bad mood lately, and I have considered just getting rid of the fish and tanks, but even if I could manage to let them go, I'm pretty sure I would just end up buying more fish and tanks anyway  :whistle

I've been coming up with 100 ideas on how I could have the tanks in the the living room (getting a new 2-tier stand setup made, putting them behind the couch, that sort of nonsense) but I have come to the conclusion that it simply isn't going to work in the living room.

I currently have the 55gal tank the bedroom, there is an office nook sort of an area, which seems to look okay.

For some reason, that picture makes that area look really skinny. It is almost 5ft across. Anywho.

90e1eba2-9730-4ad2-9db0-eef35c2244de_zps

My last solution that I can think of, is to get a two/three tier stand made for that area in the bedroom. I could have 4ft tanks and then as wide/high as I want. I kind of hate the thought of tanks in the bedroom. I don't mind the filter noises, just dislike that they aren't out where everyone can see them, but at this point, I'm past the point of caring about that.

I've been dying to have a tropical community tank again, and this would be a good solution for adding an extra tank.

I would get rid of that massive dresser and replace it with something smaller, which I was planning to do anyway.

I'm thinking something like this, only prettier and with white trim. 

lg-14701-63052-21577-fish.jpg

Anyways, what do you think? What would you do? etc.

Hi. Your room is very pretty. I like how the tank looks. 

If you use the double stand and put it behind the couch will you be able to see them?  Or get to them to maintenance?  Trust me when I say don't block them in, I've tried putting tanks behind things and am always sorry after when I have to get to the tank lol.  

Maybe set them up in a corner where the two end butt up together?  That would leave an open area and you would still be able to get to them easy enough.  

I have the same problem.  I have a TINY house and I have 2 tanks in my living room.  I have had 3 tanks in here and none of them small.  

Hmm, the double stand could work best, I'd say. I'm not much help, I'm in tank reduction mode and am working on getting rid of everything but my 110-ish gallon system and a hospital tank. I like having more tanks but I don't have the time or energy for maintenance right now.

I feel you pain I live in Studio with nearly 700 gal of fish tanks....

First world problems :)

Maybe you can build a cabinet or enclosure for the 75 gallon to make it blend in with the room. I know it would eat more space but it can make it look pleasing plus. You can also incorporate cabinets/drawers/shelves in the enclosure for additional storage space.

I feel your pain, we live in a 2 bedroom apartment. My MIL stays with us and we gavenher one of the bedrooms. I sleep in sofa in the living room next to our fish. We had to get rid of our love sit to accomodate the 75G.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sounds like a lot of us are in similar situations.  I have a fairly small 2 bedroom condo and we currently have a 150g in the living room, a 60g in the kitchen along the dining room wall, a 55g QT in the spare bedroom which is currently the junk room (which I hate btw, too much stuff for such a small place) and a 20g in the bedroom with my baby fry in it.  EEEEK!!!!

I am very picky about how things look too, so the 150 and the 60 both have nice stands with room underneath to hide all the junk.  The 150 has a canopy also, and eventually, I will paint the stand and canopy to match the rest of my living room furniture.  The "ugly" tanks are in the bedrooms so no one has to see them but us.  Lol

Try looking into getting a nice stand or cabinet for the 75, something that you can customize to match your living room and blend in more.  If you are set on moving both tanks to the bedroom, I think the double stand is a nice way to go.  That one tank in the bedroom looks really nice where it is :-)

I only have one room in which im allowed my tanks, as i live with my parents, so they are all in my bedroom. I have 3x 20g, 1x29g and a 5.5g-- the walls of my room are literally lined with tanks. That said, i do have a double stand and really like it! As long as you have a waterchanger with good suction, i day do that.

Btw, what level of your apartment do you live in? I would be slightly concerned for the floor if you were to add too much more.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Btw, what level of your apartment do you live in? I would be slightly concerned for the floor if you were to add too much more.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I am on the ground, concrete slab floor so not concerned about that :) thank goodness

What if you had an L shaped aquarium made and put it in your bedroom nook?

Nice to see another native on here. Where in Australia are you? :)

Hi Dan :) I am thinking that I will just use both the tanks to create an L shape for now. I got rid of my massive dresser and now have an Ikea desk instead. Just need to convince someone to help me move the tanks haha. 

I am in South East QLD

I had a double stand in the past although I loved the look I hated doing maintenance on the lower tank as it killed my back,and suction power was an issue,

I love side by sides and L shaped for the larger tank Idea,

I am not allowed tanks in the bedroom :0 so mine are

55 gallon in living room

5g #1 kids playroom

5g #2 kitchen counter, which I am considering moving them catercorner to each other in the kitchen ;) 

I also like the tank setup you have in your bedroom :)

I had a double stand in the past although I loved the look I hated doing maintenance on the lower tank as it killed my back,and suction power was an issue,

I think it would be okay as I use a pond pump and drain into the shower, which if you look  closely at the pic, is just behind the door that you can see on the left. But yes, that is definitely something to consider.

I have tons of open space in a house without cement foundation  (groans!).

Hi Dan :) I am thinking that I will just use both the tanks to create an L shape for now. I got rid of my massive dresser and now have an Ikea desk instead. Just need to convince someone to help me move the tanks haha. 

I am in South East QLD

Yes, definitely have someone else do it for you. :rofl

Nice. I'm down in Sydney. :)

I feel you pain I live in Studio with nearly 700 gal of fish tanks....

Wow

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It would be hard to stack it on a double stand, as the two tanks are different in dimensions.

I have that double stand that you post. Don't get it, it isn't sturdy, if touch etc. Get a one peice, that one comes in peices and has to be assemble.

I love side by sides and L shaped for the larger tank Idea,

I am not allowed tanks in the bedroom :0 so mine are

55 gallon in living room

5g #1 kids playroom

5g #2 kitchen counter, which I am considering moving them catercorner to each other in the kitchen ;)

I also like the tank setup you have in your bedroom :)

I use none or just to one layer of gravel river rocks on the bottom. So that way I don't have to gravel vac. Then for water changes, I use a python etc with a pond pump. It saved water and make water changed a breeze.