Sign in to follow this  
Distaff

Canary

15 posts in this topic

After months of searching, I finally found a canary breeder who looked good and who would ship USPS.  Many bird breeders prefer the airlines, but I live a long drive away from one (and, I absolutely HATE to drive).   After some back-and-forth emails, I determined this fall was too hectic, I couldn't afford the flight cage I wanted, and lastly, once we brought the Monstera, a HUGE plant into the house for winter, there seemed to be no space for that flight anyway.  The plant basically takes up an entire room (but, we've had it for years, and I brought it home as just a tiny little thing, and now I can't bear to trim it). 

I had mentioned to the breeder that I esp. like the darker "green" birds.  Well, she has one, who is a promising singer, and because he isn't *cute,*  no one had been interested in him.  Like most good breeders, she has too much good stock, and has to find homes for some of it, even if it is high quality. 

So, she gave me an amazingly generous offer on this bird!  After getting ALL stressed out, I thanked her, but declined.  BF suggested that I might want to rethink the decision.  So, we found a cage that would fit - a little bit of a compromise, but plenty roomy still, and I re-contacted the breeder.

He is shipping out tomorrow.  I should have him (and the cage, thanks to two-day Prime) by Wednesday. 

VERY excited!

That's great!  Does your monstera produce fruit?

Love to see a pic of the plant! :peeka

And,of course,the bird when he settles in! ;)

No fruit so far.  I don't know much about Monstera biology, if there are male and female plants, or if they need another plant to pollinate, or if fruits are a matter of age/size/or specific environmental conditions.  IIRC, the fruit is described as tasty, but in the event of a fruit, I'll re-check that vague recollection before sampling. 

I'll get some pics.  They will be lousy cell phone pics off BF's inexpensive phone (but I don't get much better results off my real camera, and the cable to connect seems to have gone missing...).  We'll be taking a bunch,  I promised the breeder some, as a way of saying, thank you.

OK, back to goldfish.  :)

I planted one (outdoors) and it fruits.  It may require a pollinator, but I have lots of bugs.  Does yours flower?  The fruit is delicious, like a mixture of banana and pineapple.  It takes a year from flowering to ripe fruit, so I get fruit and flowers at the same time.

No flowers either.  Considering how huge they can get, this one may yet (purchased 2010) be a bit young.  They were all over Kaneohe, Hawaii (or something identical looking) when I lived there.  Wasn't paying much attention to them then, but then again, I was always trying to score on some wild mangoes, star fruits, or passion fruits.  Those attractions (combined with keeping an eye out for wild pigs) were more than enough.

Edited by Distaff

Congratulations on your new Canary. Can't wait to see picture's.

How exciting! Will the canary be alone! Do you have any pics yet! :D

I know nothing about either of these, so I'm excited to see pictures and hear more details!

Just checking in. Hope the cold weather isn't bothering your little fella :hug

I can't wait to see him! Birds have always been an intriguing subject to me but my gram had some mean ones and im scared to try them out, lol.

Ok update. 

He is beautiful, and a terrific singer.  Seems happy, always busy bathing, picking at parsley greens, or just hopping around. 

:)

I wanna see him! Especially eating parsley.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk