Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
mjfromga

Cats and Shallow tubs Koko

13 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpmV-cblqLQ

The first cat Blue is 17-18 years old. She shows NO interest in any of the fish tanks or even bowls or buckets with fish within her reach.

Oreo, the second one is a giant kitten and though mischievous, seems afraid of the watery noise. Never have either of them shown any inclination to pluck at fish tanks.

They never even go up there. Citrine I'm sure is safe. MOST house cats HATE water and won't bother the fish.

My cat will take a drink out of a fish tank.

My cat will take a drink out of a fish tank.

I'm sorry but that's funny. Our two absolutely have no interest in this tub. I'd not think a little fishy water would harm cats, though? Or will it? They don't even go up there. Blue is so old, I'm not even sure she CAN jump that high.

My cats drink out the tank and any tubs too lol. Cody will lay on top with his paw or tail dangling in the water if i leave the lid off

Your cats are so cute!!!

One of the 2 cats we use to have drank from fish a tank, she's also destroy live house plants =.=  The only tank she got access to had a lid but she knocked the lid off the HOB ad drank from there.  She loved drinking from ti and would probably mess with the fish if the lid was not on.

I've seen a few amusing cat videos on youtube of cats falling into aquariums that tried to jump onto or were perched on top of and the tank.  I've also seen cats who don't have issues with water (much more rare).  But in a shallow tub I'd worried they'd go fishing and swipe a fish out onto the floor to snack on.  Thankfully no cats now so I don't have to worry.

Cats are so funny :teehee

lol that so funny how cats are different.

My out side cat will go for fish.

My Bob cat will try and drink from my tank.

and Buddy has no interest what so ever.

My old cat Odie would try and get them out of the tank. Td's old cat love tanks so much that she jumped once right on the top and fell in the tank :rofl

Cats are all so different. These definitely won't bother Citrine. Paw in water? Blue? NO WAY!

They sure are different. Junior doesnt show much interest in the fish in the loungeroom but will watch the ones in my room and drink out the QT Tub. Nellie just likes to watch.

Once Cody was sitting on top of the tank staring at the fish and I had forgotten the lid and his tail was just dangling in the water, completely in there and he didn't even seem to notice! It was hilarious. He didn't notice until a curious fish pecked his tail lol He looked so shocked.   (Needless to say I made sure I didn't forget lids after that!)

Few cats fish.  Those that do rarely eat fish.  They just lay them out as trophies.  Fish water does smell a bit like kitty food, and maybe tastes like it too.  Ebony likes to dip her paw in a container of water and then lick it off to see how it tastes.

You can blame all the cartoons of the empty fish bowl with the cat licking its chops next to it for the widely-held belief in piscivorous cats. When someone loses their first fish from a pond, they usually blame the neighbor's cat(s).  People on a pond forum tell them to put up a security camera, and the "cat" turns out to have a ringed tail and a black mask.

You can cover an indoor tub against predators just as you would one outdoors.  

Yeah I have a few of those Ring tailed and black masked creatures outside :rofl They did the worst of all things and I  still havent gotten the courage to do a pond again :(

Mine are like that too. They just love to drink from those tanks or tubs that aren't covered. I assume it has to do with cats' general preference for flowing water as drink source rather than water that just sits in a bowl.