Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Lizzy

Newbie, I rent and I just bought a 55 Gallon set up- AM I INSANE?

106 posts in this topic

Wow, looks good. That's a lot of work. I rent an apartment too and set up a 65 gallon. I bought a python water changer and hook it up to the kitchen sink to make life easier. No issues yet. Just gotta make sure to pay the renter's insurance ;)

Nice looking tank!!!

FYI,

Chalk paint is awesome when you get around to painting the stand (I think I remember you mentioning that). I used that on mine since it was the ugly standard black and brown. Picked up some chalk paint from JoAnn's since I had a coupon. No need to prime, just slop it on!

Nice looking tank!!!

Thanks! 

Wow, looks good. That's a lot of work. I rent an apartment too and set up a 65 gallon. I bought a python water changer and hook it up to the kitchen sink to make life easier. No issues yet. Just gotta make sure to pay the renter's insurance ;)

Thanks! It has been a bit of project, though I tend to enjoy restoration. I can't tell you how many pieces of furniture  I've saved from the side of the road, including a Mid-Century modern dresser on the way to my wedding  :P. Giving new life to an abandoned object is so rewarding!

I've been looking at the pythons, glad they come recommended by a fellow apartment dweller. 

FYI,

Chalk paint is awesome when you get around to painting the stand (I think I remember you mentioning that). I used that on mine since it was the ugly standard black and brown. Picked up some chalk paint from JoAnn's since I had a coupon. No need to prime, just slop it on!

Ah yes! Good idea  :D Love that there's no need to prime it! 

Glad that helped hun. I was remembering when TD was trying to get tint off a window and he used Ammonia and then a bag to keep the ammonia on the window to eat away at the sticky stuff.

So why not the same way with Vinegar :)

I have a phyton but I disliked how you need to use water from your tap to create pressure to drain the tank.

I only use the phyton to refill the tank from the kitchen faucet (so I can tweak the water temperature). I use a pond pump and a hose to drain the tank

a0294dd1c58499d75d23acfdb07d0518.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I always just get a suction with out the sink and let it just drain. I do it that way everytime I change the water. I just use it like a normal hose. Then use it to fill the tank back up :)

Since my tank is in the back of the house I just let it drain from the Python into the bath tub :)

I have a phyton but I disliked how you need to use water from your tap to create pressure to drain the tank.

I only use the phyton to refill the tank from the kitchen faucet (so I can tweak the water temperature). I use a pond pump and a hose to drain the tank

a0294dd1c58499d75d23acfdb07d0518.jpg

Ah yes, I have seen this method and do like that it doesn't use excess water...I'm in California, so every drop counts!

I always just get a suction with out the sink and let it just drain. I do it that way everytime I change the water. I just use it like a normal hose. Then use it to fill the tank back up :)

Since my tank is in the back of the house I just let it drain from the Python into the bath tub :)

Koko, how do you get the suction without the sink? Tell me your ways! 

I just put the one hose in the tank. Then the other in the tub. Take the end that is in the tub and suck on it, it will pull the water out :)

Kinda like Siphoning gas :teehee

Suck on a 25+ feet long hose lol. The tank defenitely needs to be higher that the tub for a great flow. I saw people create vacuum inside the hose by slowly lowering the vacuum attachment. Others ran the tap for a few minutes then turn it off once pressure is established in the hose.

I found the process slow so I ended with the pump. It takes me less thank 15 minutes to drain and refill my tank. Our water pressure is low so I have to turn off the pump from time to time when refilling.

Barkeepers Friend is dirt cheap - it works beautiful miracles on scale and grossness on the glass. It's also extremely mild and the oxalic acid is a lot safer than a lot of other cleaners.

I use a pump to drain my tank too :) I can't imagine doing my big WCs any other way now! 

Once drained I just unhook the pump and use the python like a normal hose to fill

Suck on a 25+ feet long hose lol. The tank defenitely needs to be higher that the tub for a great flow. I saw people create vacuum inside the hose by slowly lowering the vacuum attachment. Others ran the tap for a few minutes then turn it off once pressure is established in the hose.

I found the process slow so I ended with the pump. It takes me less thank 15 minutes to drain and refill my tank. Our water pressure is low so I have to turn off the pump from time to time when refilling.

Yup I do lol Sometimes I get fish water in the mouth but most of the times I dont :teehee

I just put the one hose in the tank. Then the other in the tub. Take the end that is in the tub and suck on it, it will pull the water out :)

Kinda like Siphoning gas :teehee

Ah, smart!  :teehee

15 minutes with the pond pump? That's not too shabby. I'll probably start with the python and eventually switch it up with a pond pump down the road. 

Barkeepers Friend is dirt cheap - it works beautiful miracles on scale and grossness on the glass. It's also extremely mild and the oxalic acid is a lot safer than a lot of other cleaners.

I think I'll give this a go! There are still some super tough stains that are so thin it's hard to scrape them off with the razor blade and the vinegar. 

Yup I do lol Sometimes I get fish water in the mouth but most of the times I dont :teehee

That happened to me a couple of times on our betta tank. Used to have the small python for it. After the 5th time, I invested on one those china made plastic hose with manual pump.

Tank update:

I finished painting the stand. I went with a turquoise blue. I decided to paint the background black too. When I bought the tank it came with a black background, but I just felt like it would be cleaner this way.

00e76ac1a5e3e7c5c672c37dd12dfc9f.jpg

986c55ba852e1b89893abfeec8f68163.jpg

987232646990f43eb6cf62deaf7db687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank update:

I finished painting the stand. I went with a turquoise blue. I decided to paint the background black too. When I bought the tank it came with a black background, but I just felt like it would be cleaner this way.

I just bought the same tank and was wondering what to do with the stand! You, my dear, are an inspiration! The faux wood matches my floor too much. What kind of hood/light are you planning on using?

Tank update:

I just bought the same tank and was wondering what to do with the stand! You, my dear, are an inspiration! The faux wood matches my floor too much. What kind of hood/light are you planning on using?

Yeah, the faux wood wasn't really my thing. I used chalk paint. It's great, especially for laminate furniture. No sanding, no primer, took about 3 coats. An 8 ounce bottle did the job nicely! You just have to wax it once you're done, which is just as easy.

51797d1a156abe3f71e91c73ec912e55.jpg

As far as lighting, I've been looking into a clip on LED strip. Though, I haven't done a ton of research into that yet.

Wow that colour looks really nice!

Wow that colour looks really nice!

Thank you!

I love the color your stand. Can you do mine? :)

Your stand looks great! Awesome color.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk