Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishstiks

Need help with Anchor Worms

Hi all,

A while back, I had posted on here about a parasite I found on my fancy goldie.  Turned out to be an anchorworm.  It was promptly removed and the fish recovered with no issues.

Well, fast forward a few months, and I am STILL battling these worms.  I think I finally have it licked, and them bam, another worm pops up!

I currently have 5 fancy goldfish in a 150 gallon tank.  My 2 males seem to be the most prone to getting the worms.  I seem to be finding about 1 per week, usually on one of my males.  I always remove it as soon as I see it, and we do fairly diligent daily inspections of the fish to look for new worms.

Thus far, we have only used manual removal to try and get rid of these worms, but I can't seem to get rid of these d*** things!  I am now ready to try stronger measures.

I have done research online, and am reading everything from methylene blue to potassium permanganate to treat.

What are the best options out there to get rid of these boogers once and for all?

I do have an empty 65 gallon tank that I could transfer them to and leave my 150 fallow for 10 days (read online), but I don't have any extra filters, so I would either have to move one of my biowheels with the fish, or risk having them in uncycled conditions for that long.  I am willing to do massive water changes, but with 5 goldies and 1 dojo joach in a 65, they are still going to suffer.  If I move the biowheel, am I just defeating the whole purpose of moving them?  If there are any worm larvae in the biowheel, the cycle will just continue.

I have methylene blue on hand, and have access to purchase Microbe-Lift, and/or potassium permangane.  I am willing to treat these guys with medicine, but I don't know what the best option is, and what will be less stressful for the fish.

Please help!  Thanks!!!

Kim

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Also some photos would really help us out :)

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)  20ppm (maybe a little higher, but not as dark as 40ppm)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)  0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  don't have a freshwater PH test
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  n/a
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature?  75
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  150 gallons, about 6 weeks now
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  3 bio-wheel 400's, established from my previous 65 gallon
    • * How often do you change the water and how much?  once a week, about 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  Sunday, 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  5 fancy goldfish, ranging from 4 inches down to 2 inches & 1 dojo loach, apx 4 inches long
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?  2-3x per day, NLS Thera A, Repashy soilent green, Saki-Hikari (green, red & purple bags), peas, fresh veggies & occasional fruit
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?  not in over 6 weeks
  • * Any medications added to the tank?  not currently
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  All fish had a full 2 wk Prazi treatment before entering the main tank, and I have dosed Melafix & Pimafix a few times to help with sores from anchor worms.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  no, just a single anchor worm on one or two fish, about once a week I am finding them.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  Nope, all acting, eating and pooping normally.

Hopefully all this info will help, I will include the previous pics I submitted, I have not taken any new pics of the worms once I identified what they were.

[/url]">A118445F-478C-46DC-BD12-FFE8F75704F5_zps

[/url]">http://s356.photobucket.com/user/gypsycat78/media/9860FBD7-D5FF-46B3-AC64-A019A65DDCAC_zpsmsq3bykd.jpg.html'>9860FBD7-D5FF-46B3-AC64-A019A65DDCAC_zps

I have no experience with anchor worm, but I have heard good reports on Dimilin-X.  This product kills all arthopods, since it inhibits chitin formation.  Apparently it also kills snails.  These have chitin in their rasping "tongue," which may explain their sensitivity to dimilin.  It appears to have little toxicity to fish and won't hurt your cycle.

When you remove a anchor worm, swab the wound with hydrogen peroxide or iodine.  Salt at 0.3% will soothe the wounds.

Edited by shakaho

Thank you, I do swab the wounds with hydrogen peroxide, and so far, all wounds have healed up with no issues or scars. 

I will look into the Dimilin-X.  Thanks!

I've used program, which is a flea preventative Med for cats and dogs. It was recommended by the Johnson and Hess fancy goldfish book. 1 tab cat dose per 1000 gal, although it is non toxic to goldfish so you can use a 1/4 tab in a twenty gallon no problem, which is what I did. I used it bc the vet clinic I worked at had it and I would have had to wait a few days for the dimilin. Worked for me if you can't get a hold of dimilin. I think it's restricted in some countries. Repaeated treatment with each weekly 100% water change on the quarantine tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by clhall18

Thanks!  I think I have them beat.  I moved them all to the 65 for 10 days, drained the 150 and left it fallow.   Its been a couple weeks now with no new signs on worms, so I think I am good.  I will keep the Program in mind if I do see a return of them.