waya

single tail fancy goldfish?

10 posts in this topic

20161115_1352282.jpg

20161115_1349432.jpg

Does this look like a single tailed fantail? Question if it's a birth defect cross breed or just a type idk about. (S)he is cutie tho.

Edited by waya

Yes.  We call single-tailed fancies nymphs.  I love these fish.  They look fancy but have the vigor and swimming ability of a comet.  These always occur in large spawns of fancy goldfish.  The single tails can be recognized in very tiny fry, which get culled within a week or two of hatching.   As a result, you rarely see nymphs for sale.

Gorgeous fish. Very nice find!! :clapping:

Thank you

So I'm guessing there not the best tank mates for fantails if there more active.

Do they stay the same size as normal fantails?

I like odd-balls I saw him told myself I didn't need more but had to go back for him. The orange and black is my favorite color mix, hoping he is healthy(didn't look or act sick in the store but...) and turns out to look like my tripod BigBoy. Of course I have a thing were if I get one I have to get a friend with it so it's not alone, so I came back with 2. The other is a nice white with gray spots and Big black eyes.

Already have 4 40g goldfish tanks so looking at goldfish in the store is bad lol. I already will need more tanks or to rehome a few when they get older.

Why don't they keep them and breed them? I would think a fancy/common like goldfish would be a little more on the side of looks and a little more on the side of health so would make for a nice pet.

Edited by waya

I keep mine with their twin-tailed siblings.  They have the same size range and body type.  

Breeders try to produce perfect specimens of their variety, and nymphs don't meet this standard.  A typical goldfish spawn produces hundreds of babies.  A dozen of these may be show and breeding prospects.  The rest must be disposed of or sold.  Even if you try to give them to a fish store, they often won't take odd fish.  Raising fry takes a lot of work, so breeders need to dispose of unhealthy and undesirable fry as soon as possible.

Idk - I don't fancy single tailed fish. If I did, I don't think I'd go through the trouble of trying to own goldfish. I like the fancy aspect. Compact body shapes, fancy tails, fat round bellies, wonkiness, etc. If I just wanted regular looking fish, there are easier options than goldfish, where ideally you can only put two in a big tank. Defeats the purpose IMO. I don't agree with way too fancy fancies, but if I didn't have a bunch of double tailed, oddly colored, oddly shaped fish, I don't see myself having any interest in goldfish.

I love nymphs. I have one myself and absolutely adore him. He makes me think of my comet and fantail in one

:o That fish is stunning! 

Mooaarrrr pics!! :please

Nymphs are usually culls but they do just fine, it's just not a trait that strengthens the gene pool of goldfish characteristics we want paired with fancies and is selectively bred out. They'll be fine with other fancies provided the fancies aren't having feeding difficulty. Most fantail, orandas, and even telescopes should be just fine but watch that everyone is getting their fair share of food.

shakaho

I do under stand that but I also know that a lot of the ones we have now started out as odd balls. If someone made a market for them being as there some what rare and new then people would see them different. I question what the 1st person that saw a fish with a wen was thinking. Then tho they would be a breed of there own and would have to make more just like them if breed to each other. Fantails would still be culled as they do make the line look bad. I know they even do so with dogs. I have one of those dogs most breeders would culled just cuz of color. I think he's even cuter tho.

mjfromga

That is definitely one of those to each there own things. I like common, comet and shubunkin as it is so, IMO its kind of like a more fantail looking shubunkin so very cool. I do like fancy's clumsily swimming about to. I have one(fantail) with a smaller tail then most commons and it's interesting seeing how he swims vs my one with a talk longer then his body.

So I'm of both sides I like some of the "pretty" goldfish sadly one of them is the pearl scale, but I also know how hard it is on some of them getting around/seeing and the heath problems.

FishyMandy

That was kind of what I was thinking when I saw him its like that a shubunkin in there, looks closer no that's a fantail body. A fantail/common interesting.

jenzaar

Thank you. I'll try to get more pictures a little later don't want to stress him/her to much and atm (s)he's being qt in a 30g tote so can't really get good pictures unless I move him/her.

I would however like if any of you that have one have a picture you wouldn't mind sharing. I'd love to see how different they look as they get older(bigger belly, longer tail so on).

Arctic Mama

Thank you when I move him I'll try him with BigBoy then and just watch them.